Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small Crookneck Yellow Squash

Posted by jkduke22 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 16:21

Hi all,

I have a bunch of yellow squash plants. They are all huge and seem to be doing well. We got several squash started on them a little over a week ago and now each plant has upwards of 8 or 9 squash growing on them.

My question is this: the first several squash that started over a week ago are now around 3 - 4 inches (including the neck part), but don't really seem to be getting any bigger. Should I go ahead and pick them now?

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small Crookneck Yellow Squash

Yea, if the growth of the little squashes seems to have stopped, go ahead and pick them. You'll have more soon enough! Its possible the first ones didn't get good pollination; later ones from the same plants may do better.

o

Awesome, thanks!

o

I have only 3 yellow zuchini plants. I have seen the fruit become 4-6" long in just 3 days from when it first appears. I pick about 3-4 zuchinis every day.

o

My yellow crooknecks did the same thing.. I had several that grew just a tiny bit then shriveled up. I was told they didnt get pollinated or not effectively. My others have grown extremely fast and I harvested some last night around 6 inches. May or may not be associated but just thought I would throw that out there.

o

My yellow crooknecks did the same thing.. I had several that grew just a tiny bit then shriveled up. I was told they didnt get pollinated or not effectively. My others have grown extremely fast and I harvested some last night around 6 inches. May or may not be associated but just thought I would throw that out there.

o

Thanks for the follow-ups. I do think that is as you all have said - low pollination. Although there are a TON of bees out there now. So, hopefully the next round that are coming up will get regular sized.

Will these small ones taste OK?

o

Tiny ones, if they look just like the ones you are used to, just tiny, : ), are perfectly fine to eat, and often better...
I only grow zukes for the flowers and the small attached veg on the females...

You will know when slicing. If dry looking inside, they will taste a bit 'un-fullfilled'. Not good.
The next batch, seeing so many bees now, should be perfect.

o

Fantastic news, thanks!

One last question - some of the plants, though huge and healthy looking - are (for lack of a better description) falling over a bit. They still seem to be growing fine, but don't want to stand up super straight. Is this OK? Or should I thin the plants out some?

Thanks again!

o

Its normal for bush squash plants to 'flop around' a bit as the vines grow. If the plants are as healthy as you say they are, further thinning isn't needed.

o

Good to know, thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here