Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdy113

my Ichiban vs Black beauty eggplant

mdy113
9 years ago

So i was away on vacation 2.5 weeks and had family member watering garden, came back to some huge plants (a lot happens in two weeks).

my ichibans started growing really nice fruit (below), but my large black beauty plant hasnt budged and even has some yellowing leave on bottom, just wondering if the black beauty plant is ok? normal? or just due to heat?

both plants planted around same time, and have similar conditions one doing much better, should i be concerned with the black beauty? or is patience key and yellowing ok. pics below first 2 ichiban, 2nd 2 black beauty

Comments (9)

• mdy113
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ichiban 2

• mdy113
    Original Author
    9 years ago

black beauty, some slow flowering no fruit yet, and yellowing bottom

• mdy113
    Original Author
    9 years ago

black beauty pic 2

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I have never grown Black Beauty but have grown Ichiban many times. They are very prolific and also taste very good and produce till fall.
    I have tried 3 or more other varieties and have concluded that overall Ichiban is the best.

• ChicagoDeli37
    9 years ago

Looks like may have just got watered little too much or watered on those bottom leaves and sun burned them

I grow both but the black beauty is way better IMO

That plant looks healthy to me though.

• howelbama
    9 years ago

My black beauties always take a bit longer to start producing than my ichibans.

Yours looks pretty healthy. I cant really tell from the pic, but the container may be a tad bit undersized IMO. Also, does it have drainage?

Make sure you are fertigating regularly too if you want good production since you are growing in pots.

I dont see anything of extreme concern in your pics.

It may be lacking some nutes though which could be from not fertigating at all and/or over watering, or poor drainage.

Fyi, plain water on the foliage in direct sun does not cause any sunburn. A fertilizer or pesticide solution (neem oil? Etc...) applied in direct sun could though.

• ju1234
    9 years ago

I planted black beauty a week after Ichiban. Both were same size. Both in same soil and all other same conditions. In over a month, black beauty has tripled in size and is blooming while Ichiban has done absolutely nothing, same size as when planted. Figure that.

• mdy113
    Original Author
    9 years ago

there is a drain hole and i have been using liquid plant food in the water mix about every two weeks. ya was just shocked to see so many ichiban growing fruit when i came back and none yet on the black beauty and also the yellow leaves, so just wanted to make sure. guess we shall see. pot may be tad undersized too i suppose, first year trying eggplants so all new to me

• howelbama
    9 years ago

They'll start producing soon. Mine are usually about 3 weeks or so behind the ichibans. Seysonn is right, ichibans produce early, prolifically, and through to fall. The black beauties are later, not as prolific, and don't last quite as long. They are still respectable producers though and are good for culinary variety.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio