Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_max

Growing pumpkins in Large Container

mary_max
11 years ago

Do you think I could grow pumpkins (not the small ones ) in LARGE containers and let the vines flow onto a large cement area or driveway that is not being used? Would that work? Need some pumpkins for the kids for Halloween and almost forgot about sowing the seeds! YIKES!!

Comments (16)

• howelbama
    11 years ago

It's possible, how large are the containers? You should prob only do one plant per, and only allow one or two pumpkins max to set on each plant. Also if the area is black asphalt, it may cook the vines, so the cement would prob be a better option. They will need regular fertilization and watering. If you are inconsistent with watering while the pumpkins are growing, they are likely to split. I would also place the pumpkin on some straw bedding or something as it grows.

• mary_max
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The containers are very large. The black containers that large trees are sold in. Do you still think only one plant per pot? Actually all I really want is a few pumpkins for the kids. The area the vines would be on would be cement. Thanks for your help.

• howelbama
    11 years ago

Even with containers that large I would still say only one plant per. Their roots are large, and they're heavy feeders. You could experiment, do one in one, and two in the other, that way you will have an idea of how far you can push them for next year. Just don't let too many pumpkins set, or they wont get very big. Also, make sure the containers have good drainage, and set them up on bricks or something so the drainage holes have good clearance and can do there job. You will want to fill them with a light potting mix, not regular soil. Water them when the top one to two inches drys out, and mulch the top as the season gets hotter. You will probably want to fertilize on a weekly basis. When you water, do so that a good percentage of water runs out of the drain holes.

There are all types of recommendations on potting mixes and fertilizers in the container gardening forum.

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    11 years ago

I believe it can be done. But, in zone 5 you need to look for a variety that is labelled as taking 100 days or less to maturity. Pumpkins need lots of sun, warmth, fertilizer and even moisture. I'm growing three in a 27 gallon half whiskey barrel. I intend to remove the smallest when the larger ones start flowering and only letting one or two per vine to develop.

• cooperph
    11 years ago

I'm trying this myself. I've got seven going, each in a black plastic nursery pot (#7 tall = 8 gallons). Started from seed, two weeks ago which is possibly too late but wanted to give it a shot. Hoping for a good Summer! Variety is "Amish Pie", which can get very big as far as pie pumpkins go (reputedly up to 60lbs!)
    Since the fruit is so heavy I am planning to let the vines trail on top of a pretty big area, maybe 6 feet wide by forty feet long, of low mounds of some type of grass, which should hopefully keep the leaves up in the sun but the fruit will be able to squash the grass and thus sit on dirt, pretty much. Either that or I could let the vines run around a concrete area and get more warmth that way, but then would definitely need to do something to lift the fruit up off the hot concrete. Anyone got experience with this and think one of those options has a better shot of working out?
    Since they are not in the ground I am planning to feed pretty heavily with water soluble fertilizer, maybe fish emulsion? Also, I am debating whether I should cut back to just one, or try two fruits per vine?

• Lynda020
    10 years ago

Trying this for the first time. Zone 9. Container planting due to rabbit infestation. What do I need to know??? Specifically what type of fertilizer is needed and how often?? I understand about turning the pumpkins and when to harvest. Let me know the critical points!!!!

• NilaJones
    10 years ago

I would put one in a 36" diameter pot. Maybe as low as 24", if it's the very tall kind of pot (30" tall, I think).

I laughed when I read the title of this thread, because I thought, 'Sure, if your container is the size of a Volkwagen bug!'

10 years ago

Lynda: the critical points probably are that you need a container that is at least 20-25 gallons; full sun; fast draining potting mix (not soil); at least a 120-day growing season; and regular fertilizing with a balanced fertilizer containing all the trace minerals. Pumpkins need a lot of moisture and food. I suggest you read the most popular thread in the Container Forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils

• Edymnion
    10 years ago

For fertilizer, its important not to give them too much nitrogen. Too much N and you'll get tons of vines, and no pumpkins at all (female flowers don't set if there's too much N).

Also, pumpkin vines will want to root along the vine, and that will greatly help pumpkin development. Don't just give it one pot at the base, have a couple of extra smaller pots that you can put the vines in for secondary rooting.

• Steve Gralewski
    8 years ago

I know this an older forum, but when I found it I figured I'd try it for myself. I started on June 26th planting 4 Burpee Jack-O-Lantern seeds in a large container. I also put 2 seeds into a plastic back with a wet paper towel... much like we did in Kindergarten. I drilled very small holes all the way around the bottom of the container to drain excess water.

You can see seedling sprouting

I came across another container and decided to transplant 2 seedlings to the new one, along with the 2 from the bag.

Very healthy plants... At the start of Week 5 I will be having the vines start running outside of the containers.

I'll keep this updated.

• gardendawgie
    8 years ago

I like this idea if it works. I would prefer to have lots of large holes on the bottom of the container so the roots can grow down into the ground below the pots.

• Steve Gralewski
    8 years ago

Thank you for the replies. I have just 2 in the original Blue container. That's the one I hope goes well. I am putting in a drip feeder at the end or the week.

As far as the Red one with the 4 plants, I think that's too many but I am trying it as an experiment, see how well it does.

• Steve Gralewski
    8 years ago

• Steve Gralewski
    8 years ago

Here my two plants are doing great. 1 well developed mini pumpkin, and there are 2 more on the vine. Not sure if it pollinated or not, I know I have male flowers but haven't seen them open.

Here I knew 4 plants in the container wasn't going to go well, and I wanted to get 2 out last week but couldnt. So this week I removed 2, tried to dig all the way down to get all the roots, but they had become entangled. I tried the transplant anyway with some fertilizer.

Hope these 2 perk back up!

8 years ago

You don't need to remove the roots when you remove the plant in a group planting. Just cut the vine at the soil surface. Dead roots won't hurt the living plants. All plants resent root disturbance, but cucurbits can be killed by it.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!