Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandolls

Showing off my garden too

mandolls
10 years ago

I am loving looking at everyones garden picture posts. I am further behind than most of you. This is my 4th year and I keep building more beds and expanding every year - though I think this is mostly going to be it in terms of size.

{{gwi:73141}}

{{gwi:73142}}

{{gwi:73143}}

{{gwi:73144}}

Comments (13)

• fern1knits
    10 years ago

Very pretty, I really like your trellises and that archway. Your garden looks so much nicer and better organized than mine!

• AiliDeSpain
    10 years ago

I love the arches too, very nice.

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

That is so nice, neat and organised. You have done a fabulous job. I love your garden setup.

• Kevin Reilly
    10 years ago

Very cool! Thanks for sharing...

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

I don't like your pics -- they make my garden look ghetto. :P

Beautiful Mandolls! Are you a Virgo by any chance?

Kevin

• mandolls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the hurrahs. Most of the time I have felt like it looks like a construction site, because I have been building and expanding every year. This year it is starting to come together. When the arches are covered with cukes and beans they will be really nice. I also planted vining nasturtium (12 footers) on each arch that should add some color. The pots of peas at the entrance arch are obviously inspired by Rita's posts (thanks Rita)

woohoo - I'm a Libra, also an artist, it was important to me that it feel more like a Garden than "crops". And honestly, I dont get as much sun in my yard as I really need, therefore my harvests are not great, so it better at least look good.

This is a pic from the first year.

• michelliot
    10 years ago

Another neat freak. Are you related to Shermthewerm floating around here. You guys should find a garden magazine having a contest and send them some images.

Hope you have a bench to admire the "fruit of you labor" (lol) as well..................elliot

• shermthewerm
    10 years ago

I love this garden & I've been watching your progress over the last few years--it looks beautiful. I'm actually wanting to use your cow panel idea. I keep showing it to my husband, "Look how cool that is!", hoping he'll just make me one. I guess I'm actually going to have to ASK for it.

Funny, michelliot!

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

LOL at shermthewerm... once again a woman thinking that a MAN should be able to read her mind.

Mandolls: well, you must have some Virgo influencing you -- they're the true beat freaks. Anyways, your garden has definitely allowed your creative side to shine. Quite a transformation from one year to the next.

Kevin

• njitgrad
    10 years ago

Nice job, love the neatness. If I had that much real estate my wife would never see me LOL.

• mandolls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Elliot & Kevin - I am really not a neat freak - maybe a bit of a control freak and definitely interested in making it as beautiful as I can. But when taking photos its easy to frame out the messes. The folks with the really formal Potager gardens - they are the neat freaks.

Sherm - Thanks and I sure don't take credit for inventing the cattle panel arches - I saw those here on GW a few years ago. They are really easy to put up. You cant see them all in the pics but I have 6 of them, one front and back, and two on each side. They frame the whole garden.

njit - My whole lot is less than 1/2 an acre, I just dont have much lawn.

• lkzz
    10 years ago

Beautiful! So much creativity.
    What is planted next to the lettuce (?) - is that borage? I love not having to bend over for everything too. I just put mounds and mounds of compost around my many tomato and pepper plants this morning...a little stiff I am.

• mandolls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LKZZ - thank you - I assume you are referring to the bottom pic in the original post?

Thats actually not lettuce, it is napa cabbage, and purple cabbage in front of the peas. The blue flowers are lobelia, and there are petunias and zinnia squeezed in here and there. There are a few borage around the garden that seeded themselves from last years plants, but I didnt plant any this year because they got eaten up by bugs last year and looked pretty ratty.

The first week or two of gardening season I am always stiff and hurting. But its good hurt usually :)