chicagodeli37

Anyone know this bug

ChicagoDeli37
10 years ago

Bug looks like lighting big I've been seeing them all over

Comments (16)

• CaraRose
    10 years ago

Looks like a lightning bug/firefly to me.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Early for those in Chicago, tho.

• ChicagoDeli37
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do they eat veggies.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I can't think of anything that looks like a lightning bug....except a lightning bug.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

If it is not doing any damage, just let it live.:D

• CaraRose
    10 years ago

I think I've heard that they aren't 100% sure what adult fireflies eat, but suspect it to be nectar/pollen.

Their young are predatory though, feeding on snail and slug larva... good to have around.

• lkzz
    10 years ago

Lightning Bug - a beneficial for the garden.
    Whether you know them as Lightning Bugs or Fireflies, these are beneficial insects. They don't bite, they have no pincers, they don't attack, they don't carry disease, they are not poisonous, they don't even fly very fast. The larvae of most species are specialized predators and feed on other insect larvae, snails and slugs. (They are also reported to feed on earthworms.) Adults of some species are also predatory. Adults of some species are reported as not feeding.

Here is a link that might be useful: Firefly/Lightning Bug

• lefeavers
    9 years ago

Hmm , I have 2 protect my Red Wriggler's ( earthworms). I have alot of Lightening bugs on Squash leaves. A friend said Lemon joy & Water to rid them ..... I often do that n e way.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I wish we had lightning bugs down here. We used to have a few in Vero Beach, but nothing like up north. I never heard of them eating earthworms.

• Weicker
    9 years ago

Soldier beetle.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

lefeavers posted ..."Hmm , I have 2 protect my Red Wriggler's ( earthworms). I have alot of Lightening bugs on Squash leaves. A friend said Lemon joy & Water to rid them ..... I often do that n e way."

That's is simply backwards thinking, imho. First, red wigglers are composting worms, so unless you see them around your vermicomposting bin, why worry? 2nd, if lightning bugs are known to kill earthworms, I'm sure they don't get many of them... worms are deep in the soil. 3rd, one should never deliberately kill beneficials.

Why use soap? Why not just whip out the Sevin and kill everything?!!?

Kevin

• zzackey
    9 years ago

The soldier beetle I saw a picture of had a yellow collar-like thing on the back of it's neck. I don't see that here. I guess if they light up at night you will know the difference. Wikipedia says the lightning bugs eat slugs and snails.

• milehighgirl
    9 years ago

I saw one like this in my garden and was going to try to identify it. We definitely do not have fireflies here in Colorado. The image does not look like firefly images I have found.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Though soldier beetles are related to and look like lightning bugs, I think that the original image is that of a lightning bug.

Milehigh, there are fireflies in Colorado.....just not as commonly as more humid climates.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

The best way to ID it is to take to your local Agricultural center. I know master gardeners get a bad rap on here alot, but most of them know their stuff or can ask someone on the staff what your bug is.

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    9 years ago

I have lightning bugs that spend the daytime on about any kind of plant. Just look closely next time and check out its abdomen (although that does look like one kind of ours just from the top). The abdomen will look like an unlit lightning bug part. Most bugs don't have that ;)

Mine don't ever hurt anything, although they do seem to like being near the pollen. I'd guess they eat it, probably. Or maybe they eat the tiny bugs that eat the pollen? Anyway, they don't seem to do much but sit around waiting for night :)