Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drewski_

Lotta rain, soil washing away

Drewski_
10 years ago

Hey everybody! :D
The last of my seeds FINALLY popped outta the dirt recently and I really want to fertilize before it rains again. It's been a tad heavy lately, and judging from my soil & knowing that random sheet of rock underneath, I can tell the drainage isn't all that great and the older rows (planted in May) have washed away a slight bit.

So I have 2 methods/ideas:

1) Could I uplift/dig up almost the entire rows (those that have "melted"), pile on the soil in between them, place them back into their rows (respectively), and give em all a decent side dressing + a good watering (if it DOESN'T rain)? (and eventually, buy some mulch..?)

2) Leave them be, but dig trenches around the garden (less work) to allow rain water to drain in different directions (rather than making mini ponds in between watermelon rows >_Then the side dressing + watering (by rain or me)

Thanks!

Drew

Comments (9)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I'd definitely vote for #2. Not only because it is easier, but it also has the best chance of success and the greatest benefit. A good cross-drainage trench can solve lots of problems.

Dave

• Drewski_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Awesome..but elaborate on "cross drainage" to better my understanding.

And you see how the row-to-ditch level is almost flat? Would u recommend leaving the ditch parts undisturbed? (except when I need to weed)
    Also, would u suggest setting down some mulch too? If so, when would be best & what kind? (it's a veggie garden, watermelon included)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Cross drainage is across the flow of the water. You want it to be caught in the trench and routed away from the garden rather than running through the garden. So from the pic I'd guess it needs to run across the ends of the mounded rows.

For ex. if the water run-off comes from the west then the trench needs to run N to S to catch the water and divert it. if the water run-off is from the NW corner of the garden bed then you need an L shaped trench with a N-S arm and an E-W arm to catch it all. And the trench needs to be deep enough to catch it all rather than over-flow and long enough to divert it well away from the garden bed.

Ever a Boy Scout and learn how to trench your tent so you wouldn't float away? :-)

Dave

• alleykat_82
    10 years ago

I agree with Dave. #2. But throw in the mulch idea from#1. You don't have to buy mulch. I have mounded rows almost exactly as you have yours. I save my grass clippings, dry them out completely, then put the clippings on the mounds and walkways, this really seems to help keep the mounds from washing away from excessive rainfall. Just a suggestion:) and thanks Dave for the help with my pollination issue. I'm am novice in the whole male/female flower thing... The past years I just planted and things grew, with very few issues. But really, I'm not complaining because thats why I love gardening. It's fun, and it always presents opportunities to learn... and to teach. I'm kinda enjoying this 'challenge'. ðÂÂÂ

• Drewski_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I kinda wanted to be a boy scout, but I was being quite iffy about it at the time..I had a few commitment issues as a child X-( lol

But I'll start digging..I might need to nudge back a plant or two, or I could just go around em.

I'm still unclear as to what mulch would be particularly best/better for me. My garden's still full of youngins, so 6-8 inches of frickin hay (which is mainly what I keep seeing for veg, gardens) would be a tad much.....wouldn't it?

Hey, would either of you happen to know why my carrots are drooping? (left side of the photo, hopefully you can see) Is it the rain? I don't wanna get panicky.

• alleykat_82
    10 years ago

Here is my guess on the carrots. The rain will make the foliage lay. They should stand back up when thing dry and the sun comes back out. It looks like the mud has splashed up on the foliage causing them to droop heavily and the weight of the mud in the leaves are hold the leaves hostage. This issue would be solved with a little mulch:) The mulch would keep the mud in check, and your leaves will perk up after a rain. BUT, thats just going off what I see from the pic. I'm assuming the pic was taken after a rain. Just keep an eye on them ðÂÂÂ

• Drewski_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What of the type of mulch I could/should use?

• alleykat_82
    10 years ago

Well, you can use my suggestion above and bag your grass clippings when you mow. (If you have a bagger) just be sure to dry them out first before putting them on the garden. The reason for this is when the grass clippings decompose, they get HOT. And could potentially harm your plants. I work at the Home Depot garden center and a lot of people use straw. We also sell pine straw, a little pricier, but works well. I would not use landscaping or wood mulch. You could also use leaves. We take the leaves off our neighbors hands in the fall and till them in in the spring, because not only are they a great mulch, but an excellent soil amendment. So. There are lots of options, just depends on what your can get your hands on.... I've also heard ppl using cardboard, newspaper....etc. There are lots of benefits to mulching: less weeding, less washing away of soil, keeps soil cool and moisture in after a rain, less splashing of dirt on leaves of plants which reduce diseases spreading. Hope this helps.
    Alley

• Drewski_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

YES. Thank you, Alley! :D

And thank you as well, Dave! I'm digging the trench(es) today now that the soil's dried a little bit more (but a little TOO dry -___- [why I need mulch!! LOL])