Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why are my aphids silver (grey)??? They are aphids???

Posted by Zinderin none (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 21, 11 at 16:58

Please tell me these are aphids crawling all over my broccoli (link below) !!!!!

This is freaking me out enough, without not being able to find any pictures of aphids that aren't green. These are silver (or a very light grey).

I already have a bazillion ants in my garden, and I was upset about them, now these things have infested my broccoli en mass!!! Makes me want to rip the broccoli out of my garden and just stick with the tomatoes and artichokes. :(

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of the aphids.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why are my aphids silver (grey)??? They are aphids???

Aphids come in all kinds of colors, including gray! The gray ones seem to prefer things like cauliflower.

Go to Google Images and type in 'gray aphid' and you'll see plenty.

Sue

o

Just hose them off with a stream of water and consider cutting back on the N fertilizer as it is what attracts them.

Dave

o

I have dark brown ones on my pink eye purple hull peas.

o

They're called cabbage aphids. All the cole crops can get them.

o

I have been finding large groupings of aphids on my broccoli plants as well. But they seem to only be on the leaves and not on the heads. When I find them they are also gray but I think the ones I am seeing tend to be dead. Luckily, they don't seem to be doing any real damage to the plant overall.

I have sprayed them a few times with an organic insecticide soap called Green Clean, found at a local hydroponics store. Maybe this helped keep them from getting too out of control. Also, I did read somewhere (maybe on Gardenweb) that once you cut the heads of broccoli and want to remove aphids just place the heads in some tepid water with a bit of vinegar for about 10 minutes. You'll see the little buggers float to the top and will free you from eating too many of them!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here