Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aniat_gw

Garden Fencing

AniaT
10 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I recently got a plot in our community garden! I'm so excited! I'm at a bit of a loss on how to fence my plot. How high does fencing have to be to keep out rabbits? Does anything keep rats out?

I'm not that handy so need an easy way to fence it. I googled for kits but am not coming up with much. Especially cause I want it to look nice.

Any ideas?

Comments (7)

• Anne Wolfley
    10 years ago

You probably need to think about how low your fencing needs to go. I've heard that you need to bury chicken wire several inches down to keep them from burrowing underneath.

• gjcore
    10 years ago

I think a good source of information would be your fellow gardeners at the community garden. What are they doing with their plots? Are you sure there is a rabbit and rat problem?

• nancyjane_gardener
    10 years ago

Why don't you ask others in the community garden what works best for them? You might even get someone to help if you buy the materials.
    Do you have a message board that you can tack messages on?
    Nancy

• AniaT
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've got the low thing covered. All gardners bury hardwire cloth to keep gophers out so I am doing the same. It appears most gardners have about a 3 ft fence around their plots and most are built from wood and hardwire cloth. I'm just not sure if I'm skilled enough to build something nice from scratch.

Other gardners just have hardwire or netting stapled to posts but I kind of want something clean and nice looking.

I do know there is a rabbit problem and have been told the rat problem is on and off there.

Is there something premade and nice looking that I can easily put up?

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Is there something premade and nice looking that I can easily put up?

Yes there are many things but they are also quite expensive. Just browse all the fencing options on sites such as Home Depot and Lowes. It doesn't take much handyman experience to drive some stakes into the ground and zip tie some small-hole fencing or hardware cloth to it.

But instead I'd suggest you focus on the real purpose of a fence - function, keeping the garden varmints out - rather than appearance. Many times the most attractive fences are also the least effective.

Dave

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

google prefabricated fencing or prefabricated garden fencing. and maybe the city/county you reside.

• AniaT
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So what do most people use?

I was thinking maybe picket with hardwire cloth stapled to it?

I've been googling for days..LOL

How tall to keep rabbits out?

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022