Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Partial Sun Vegetables

Posted by behlgarden none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 29, 11 at 17:13

Hello,

I have a pretty good size area that gets partial sun, about 3-hours or so. Any suggestions on what veggies I can grow there?
I already got egg plant, hot peppers, and tomatoes going in sunny areas.

please comment

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Partial Sun Vegetables

Lettuce, herbs, onions and other alliums. I'm sure there are more and that other gardeners will tell us.

Carol

o

If you search 'shade gardening' here you'll find several discussions if interested as that is basically what you would be doing - shade gardening. Lots of info on Goggle too using that search term.

But they usually boil down to the same things - those that Carol listed above. I just add all kinds of leafy greens - kale, cabbage, chard, spinach, bok choy, etc.

Dave

o

Sounds like you know what loves the heat & it's basically everything else that grows in part sun/shade. If your 3 hours are mid-day you'll have no problem growing vegs. Slower to warm in spring, but slower to heat up in summer, so still good for growing some veggies.

Dappled high shade is different than dark shade from a building.

In partial shade harvests are slower coming & smaller, so plan on planting more; however, there are some advantages because you can grow lettuce all summer with great taste, less need to water, less sprouting of weeds, vegs wait a bit longer before harvest is needed (less bolting), and more comfortable to work in the garden. Often less bees, too, which is more for the squashes anyway.

These grow really well for us to use in salads & stir fries: swiss chard, spinach, chives, allium, pansies, pot marigold (Calendula), Red Russian kale, lettuces, zucchini, & parsley.

Last year some zucchini were crowded under part of the pear tree & though slower to produce those 2 plants produced longer in the season, so shade can be an advantage.

Moderate results with broccoli, kohlrabi, pak choi, & red cabbages as they take nearly a month longer to harvest. Broccoli keeps producing side shoots all summer in part shade without bolting.

There are good things from shady places, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here