Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ceezaah

Drowned Eggplants

ceezaah
10 years ago

This year I started eggplants from seed. I planted the seed on Feb. 25th starting in the house, then moving to a cold frame and grew them into 4" peat pots before setting them in my garden the week before Memorial Day. They were great until we received about 9" of rain in a few days.
The plants sat with their feet in water for over a week. They've finally dried out but look awful. Last week I put some more fertilizer down and tilled the garden a few times to help dry it out. The tomatoes, peppers and squash are all starting to come back but the eggplants are looking like they'd like me to put them out of their misery. There's over 40 of them and I was hoping to freeze some eggplant this summer.
Does anybody know what I could to to bring them back? Should I pinch off any flowers they have right now to save the strength for the plant? I've already removed the dead leaves so the plants won't get mildew, hopefully.
When I planted them, they were the best looking eggplant plants I ever planted. I've grown gardens all my life but never had a situation like this.
I'd appreciate any good ideas.

Comments (2)