Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kay17jan

Is this rabbit destruction.

Kay17jan
9 years ago

I had 3 of such precious tomatoes. Two have vanished with all the stems/leaves below this tomato . This one has a gnaw on it. I am not sure if this is bird or rabbit. Its higher for rabbit, and we have a fenced yard so anything else is unlikely. I thought may b my dog, but if she does something she's guilty, and when i scolded her on this she was not behaving guilty. So i don't think its my dog.

Is it rabbit? I have spotted a rabbit around my garden sometimes.
There was a huge cucumber on ground next to this plant, and it didn't bother the cucumber.

Sorry about the inverted pic.

Comments (4)

• Christian
    9 years ago

or worse yet... rats?!?!

• squishsquash
    9 years ago

I have rabbits!! One of the zillion annoyances. I have a fenced in garden, but the babies do get in. They never eat my tomatoes. They go straight to the peas and beans, and are like they are in the yard. They eat the entire thing, but from the bottom. It looks like someone mowed the peas away.
    I am really not sure if an adult would eat the fruit like that, the adults haven't found my patio containers to judge. Maybe a squirrel? But a rabbit is more likely to eat that bottom part. Hmm. Good luck!

• indiana_matt
    9 years ago

It looks as if a furrow has been chewed across the skin of the tomato. It could be some kind of caterpillar. I had some caterpillars eat the skin around where the tomato is attached to the stem. Either spray insecticide (organic is a good choice) or just conduct a daly inspection and pull them off. Look closely...they know how to hide.

• Kay17jan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks a lot for your responses.
    All the branches below this tomato, and 2 more tomatoes are missing, everything has completely vanished. I looked around in the yard to find any traces but din't find anything. I don't think it's caterpillars, I have never seen any of them in my garden yet.