Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kohlrabi: When to pick?

Posted by fred_in_maine Southern Maine (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 20, 09 at 17:35

I transplanted a few kohlrabi that I found at a local seedling greenhouse on May 31. I have no idea what part of this weird plant people eat. Nor when to harvest it.

Anybody know? Thanks, Fred

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kohlrabi: When to pick?

Kohlrabi is like a turnip that grows above ground. Whenever they are big enough to eat. Usually between egg and baseball size, but some cultivars get bigger. Purple Vienna gets tough if it gets much larger than a baseball. They are firmer than a turnip, but similar in flavor.
Grand Duke

o

Great looking kohlrabi, Farmerdilla. I really love the purple kind, not because they taste different from the green, but just because they are beautiful purple! I like them peeled, shredded, and used like cabbage for kohlslaw. Also good baked in cheese sauce or just sliced and sauteed.

o

Eat the bulb when it looks to be bigger than an egg but smaller than a baseball.

Some folks use the leaves in soups - they are like cabbage...

Enjoy!

o

farmerdilla -- I am growing kohlrabi for the first time and and so far only one plant has formed the bulb like shown in your picture. Are there any secrets to growing kohlrobi you can share?
Photobucket

kol robi close up

Thank you,

Mary

o

They are about as easy to grow as a cabbage or turnip. Plant them early or late as they do not like the heat of summer. They are much slower than turnips, yours look ok so barring a heat wave, they should bulb up nicely.

o

IMHO, they are much sweeter than turnips, and less strongly flavored.

Mary, I did hear that they should be planted at least 8" apart in order to attain proper size.

BTW, Cossak variety, even in my mid-Atlantic clay, really does grow bigger bulbs. They remain sweet and fiber-free at least as long as the other varieties. I also grow all the standard types though, as well as the purple. They are such an unusual looking vegetable, especially in purple.

Even my kids have eaten it thinly sliced with sliced granny smith apples, grated carrot, crushed pineapple, and toasted pecans. We don't even dress this salad.

o

Fred in Maine -- sorry for hijacking your thread!

Thanks to everyone else for the useful info. They were grown from seed and I didn't think that I thinned them enough. They are now thinned a little better (and mulched), but with the heat on the way, it may have been too late.

o

Wonderful information. Thanks everyone. Fred

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here