Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
After Potato harvest, then what?

Posted by cbgarden none (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 10, 12 at 17:46

I live in LA, and just harvested (June 10, 2012) some fist size potatoes (my first - yea!). I also found some little seed potatoes which i left in the ground. The plant tops have completely died back. Do I continue to water the tiny seed potatoes and will they grow now ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: After Potato harvest, then what?

Potatoes are a cool weather crop. Warm soil temps will often just rot any small ones left in the ground before they can sprout. Most gardeners save them for planting in the cool fall or spring next year.

You can try of course and see what happens but I'm assuming that S. California weather wouldn't be at all potato planting friendly right now. :)

Dave

o

thanks dave - how do you "save" them? also i live by the ocean -year-round evening temps average 55 degrees.

o

In your climate saving them may be a problem. In the mid-west folks use root cellars and cold basements - they need darkness and max air temps of 45-50 degrees to keep. If you have room in the veggie bin drawer of the fridge they will keep there. In the old days folks used to bury them in a covered bucket in the back yard if they didn't have a root cellar.

In warmer climates most start with fresh seed potatoes each spring because stored ones just don't last long enough.

If you monitor your soil temps as needed then you may be able to plant them this fall if your soil temps get down to 45-50 degrees and get a crop then.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Grow Potatoes in the Home Garden

o

Potatoes missed or left in the ground at harvest generally do not sprout for a couple months...built in sprouting resistance.

o

In old times in Virginia, we would dig the spring potatoes in late June early July. The little potatoes would be left in the sun for a week or so until they began to green up and then planted for a fall crop to be dug in late September - early October. We grew Irish Cobblers in those day which are a relatively quick maturing potato. The bottom line is that they will sprout readily if exposed to sun for a week or so.

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 16:27

farmerdill, thanks for the tip about getting little potatoes from early summer harvesting to sprout for replanting and harvest in fall.

I did a search to find the post again since I remembered reading it, but didn't recall details. Just the answer my daughter needed today.

Garden web is great for the practical tips shared from experienced gardeners!

o

Just harvested my spring crop of potatoes. Several good eaters, lots of good seed, and one classic "can't show this one polite company" potato.

When is the best time to start the fall crop? We're still hovering around/above 100 degrees here, so I'm assuming the answer is not "now".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here