Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fred_in_maine

Young Squash Leafs Yellowing

Fred_in_Maine
16 years ago

I planted a very green and healthy crookneck squash seedling 17 days ago in a raised bed. The soil has good structure, loose and well-draining with about 25% composted cow manure.

We have been blessed with good sun and moderate temperatures in the low 70s during the day and mid 50s at night. Yet somehow this little fella canÂt seem to hold his green complexion. Should I be concerned or is it too early to start worrying? Thanks Fred in Maine

{{gwi:74613}}

Comments (10)

• anney
    16 years ago

fred

I think your temps of 50s at night are still on the cool side for squash, so they may be languishing until warmer weather shows up.

I've NEVER grown a squash plant that didn't develop some yellow leaves, starting at the bottom. I cut them off and do wonder if their hollow stems are an invitation to an insect invasion, but that hasn't happened yet.

Just keep an eye on them. If the top growth continues to be okay, the plant should be okay.

• jbann23
    16 years ago

As far as I know the squash plant doesn't like to be transplanted much. I'm sure it'll recover once it becomes accustomed to your soil. They will need fertilizer but you don't want to burn 'em. Try some fish emulsion to get some nitrogen in there. It's gentle for a new plant and squash need a lot of nutrients once they get going. Don't go too heavy on the water right now, that'll give it serious yellows. Hope this helps.

• kellyrie
    16 years ago

I'm having the same problem except my plants have far less leaves. How long from the time you add fish emulsion will they start to green?
    Thanks!

• jbann23
    16 years ago

After the fish emulsion goes in you can expect change in a couple of days to a week. I use a fish/seaweed concoction, Neptune's Harvest, that really works well. I follow the label directions except I use it weekly instead of every other week.

• iacche
    16 years ago

I'm having a similar problem with one crookneck. It is located between a second crookneck and a zucchini. The other two look great, but this one in the middle is slightly smaller and today I noticed some yellowing here and there, particularly on one lower leaf. It's a big plant already, with one perfect little squash coming that bloomed today.

The poor plant has had a rough week, and I'm hoping the yellowing is just due to that and not some horrid disease. On Tuesday we got 1 1/2 inches of rain, plus hail up to a centimeter in diameter, which ripped holes in the leaves of all of my squashes. Then on Wednesday we got another half-inch of rain. Then Thursday there was no sun whatsoever and I doubt the temperature got up to 70. Lows were in the 50s for a couple nights. Yesterday and today we finally got some sun, and today was finally warm.

But I'm going to watch this squash anyway. I hope it's just some kind of stress and recovers.

• icotte
    16 years ago

My yellow squash looks exactly like your photo. There was infact two plants in the pot that I purchased. Looks like you have two plants also. I just dug mine up and found the root ball very dry even though the soil around it was moist. Must have been too root bound when planted? Dig yours up and check the roots.

Melba

• billtex
    16 years ago

I had the same problem until i switched to saffron early prolific variety, I still have some yellow leaves but not many ,hope this helps. bill w

• clinton4168_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

My garden looks wonderful have squash already on the plants but I am noticing yellowing on the outside of the squash cucumber and zuch. I am thinking maybe I am over watering not sure. I am in Oklahoma for the past 2 weeks we have had 90 and over temps. I have been watering everyday. This is my baby and Im scared I am messing this up. Please help me before I lose my baby.

• esellers
    10 years ago

Am having the same problem with yellow leaves but it looks more extreme than a water or nutrient thing. This is a summer (pattypan or sunburst) squash plant. The bright yellow starts at the end of the leaf and moves upward. (Removed some of the most yellow leaves, the picture doesn't show it at its worst.) I have a lot of squash plants and would hate to lose them all. Usually these are so easy to grow.