Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantlover80

Did I make a whoopsy with Lettuce plants

plantlover80
9 years ago

Hello, question regarding my lettuces and spinach that I grew. I planted seed at the end of May here in Wisconsin Zone 5, Raised garden. I have rows growing; Red oak leaf, Red sails and spinach. I have no clue what happened to all my spinach plants. They never grew in except for one that has a big flower crown on it. That means that it is done growing in right? I is only 8 inches tall flower and all. Will the lettuce bolt on me soon? That area is a great place to grow more veggies if they are in fact growing in between seasons.

Thanks in advance,

Chad

Comments (11)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Yep. The spinach has bolted. Most likely, the lettuce will soon also, but you may try mulching and/or shading to regulate the soil temp. You just may get something out of them still.

Kevin

• plantlover80
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just put straw in a week and a half ago.that should suffice right? I probably need to put more in.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Yep. As much as you can without it interfering too much around the base.

Kevin

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

Not a whoops. But you could make better use of your space and plant thick.
    I've been harvesting weekly for about a month now in zone 5a...and plant a new row every week to keep it going. Next will be a heat tolerant blend as i have some bolting. But i do save seeds so bolting is fine if you have the room...
    New rows are under the slats for shade and to help germinate.
    I just keep cheap scissors in the garden, cut through the rows and get a second and third growth...

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

Still some good head lettuce under the closest shade frame but some arugula has bolted.
    I'll clean that one out and start another few rows next weekend...i just let the weather determine what goes in...what comes out.
    I make my own blends but many pre-mixed blends can be had from Johnny's and others...
    Just an ounce of seed is around 10 bucks and can keep you in salads for most of the summer. Much better deal than little packets from box stores...
    One of my salad rows is Johnny's spicy micro mix that i grew all winter indoors...
    I like my greens and it is doing great in the garden...it is the 1/4 lb packet.

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

I like your slatted shade thingies! I might look into making something like that!
    I just planted a 6 pak of a Hawaiian lettuce ( Don't remember the name, starts with an M, ends with an I, is about a foot long, has lots of vowels and a couple of n's and k's thrown in there!) ;)
    It was pretty hot the day after I planted it, so I had to shade it. I'm hoping it will give me crispy lettuce when my other salad veges are getting ripe! Nancy

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Lettuce like cool weather. Come to PNW, we have lots of it and my lettuce loving it. Tonights low will be 46F. I have some nice bibb lettuce. But, OTOH, my peppers , hmmm . they don't like it.

• plantlover80
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I could probably get a skid from work and work it together somehow. I'll have to research it. The lows here right now are still about 60ð.

Chad

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

Hmmmmm, I picked up a play water/sand table for a few bucks (about 2'x4') I'm thinking I can get some lettuce started and keep it in the shade?
    We do get into the mid 80s here, but I do have some full shade. Would this work? Nancy

• glib
    9 years ago

It is a whoopsie. You should plant spinach as soon as the ground can be worked. Now the soil temperature is too high and the seed has gone dormant. Expect spinach plants in that bed next year. When they come up, write down the date, subtract 15 days, and you will get the best time for planting spinach in your area.

Lettuce seed is more heat resistant. It germinated, but it will bolt soon. Mine has already bolted and was replaced by beets June 17, just ahead of the last several days of rain. Plant lettuce as soon as the soil can be worked, too.

• mandolls
    9 years ago

I let a row of lettuce go to seed last year, and they self seeded themselves this year (not in a tidy row, but, with a little transplanting they are looking good) They are about ready for some harvesting now.