Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
courtneyb123_gw

What's in my summer squash flower?

CourtneyB123
9 years ago

When I went out to my garden today, I noticed a few of the yellow flowers from my summer squash on the floor. I'm new to garnetting, but I didn't think that the flowers were meant to fall to the ground. Since it wasn't no use to the plant anymore, I peeled open the flower that was still somewhat closed, and inside were one or two tiny larvae/caterpillar/squiggly worms!! Haha. (I'm not sure what they are!)

Out of curiosity, I peeled open another flower that is still attached to the plant. It to had one of these guys in it! The picture I've attached comes from the flower that was still on the plant. In size, the insect is about an inch at maturity.

My question is, what exactly is this thing? And also, is it beneficial or of harm to my squash plants? Also, why does it reside inside of the flowers on the plant?

I squished one of them, and the orange pollen from inside the plant came out of it� Could this mean it's eating the pollen? Please get back to me with any advice, or if you have any clue what this little guy is! Thank you!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living