Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
almosgreenthumb

Cucumber Transplant trauma

almosgreenthumb
15 years ago

Hello, I attempted to transplant or space out my cumber and broccoli plants. They were so happy and healthy yesterday and today they are drooping badly, the cucumber plant leaves are drying out. Is there anything I can do to save them?

Comments (21)

• iheartroscoe
    15 years ago

Were these transplanted from seedlings started inside or were they always in your garden?

• almosgreenthumb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

they were always in my garden.

• bdobs
    15 years ago

I have read that cucumber roots are extremely sensitive to transplanting

• iheartroscoe
    15 years ago

They are very hard to transplant, according to what I've read. It makes me afraid to try them!

Here is a link that might be useful: Transplanting Cucumbers

• macheske
    15 years ago

Water them very well and often. They will take some time to come back but they should be fine if you water them often.

• carawaykara
    15 years ago

What does the hydrogen peroxide do?

• almosgreenthumb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, I will try and let you know how it goes!

• larry_c
    15 years ago

Ck, this out

CrAzY LaRrY

Here is a link that might be useful: The Many Benefits of Hydrogen Peroxide

• jodifromoregon
    15 years ago

Well, I'll be danged... the things I learn from you folks! I never would have guessed that hydrogen peroxide had any place in the garden. Is it better to water with this solution, or spray the plants with it? I know tomatoes don't care for wet leaves, but right now I'm dealing with a newly diagnosed problem with thrips and a single plant (my Sweet 100 cherry tom) with what is probably spotted wilt virus. Do you think I could spray my toms with this solution (if done early in the day so they dry out fairly quickly) and it might help with both the bugs and the virus?

Thanks so much, Folks! I love this forum!
    Jodi

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    15 years ago

You can try shading the transplants for a few days. Sometimes I set up lawn chairs in the garden so they will shade recent transplants. I, too, like to use the "extras" when I need to thin. I've found a few other things help.

-Transplant late in the day after the high sun and heat are gone.

-Add water to the transplant hole, slip in the transplant, then water again to settle the soil.

-If you are lucky, you can hope for an overcast or rainy day to follow your transplanting day.....or go out and transplant during the misty, overcast weather.

I hope yours recover well for you. I find most of mine survive but are a bit behind the nontransplanted ones. Transplants from cell packs usuaully have less recovery time after I set them out.

• fuzzy158
    15 years ago

i have found that if I water well when transplanting, and shade the transplant, I have much better luck. I use an empty milk crate to shade my transplants.

• almosgreenthumb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I found the h2o2 to be extremely helpful and after doing some reading am using it as a solution in my water for all my garden. Although the stalks have recovered, there was too much damage done to the leaves to I will have to wait for them to grow new leaves... Biggest lesson learned: ask the forum before the damage is done!

• Annie
    15 years ago

Wow!
    H2o2o in the gardening water to promote healthy plants...that is an answer to a question my dad and I have been asking all our gardening lives - "Why is it that a drop of rain water seems to do more good for plants than 2 gallons of tap water?"

We had figured that it was the chlorine in the water. That article agrees, but now I know why and more.

I can't wait to share it with my dad!
    This will rock his world!

Going to mix up some of that "Good Health Juice" right now and dose my droopy transplants. I usually dose them with a diluted amount of MiracleGrow which does the trick for transplant wilt, but I am all for any NATURAL remedies any day!

Thank you so much!!!
    ~ sweetannie4u

• drscottr
    15 years ago

Please excuse my cynicism but until someone shows me a real scientific article regarding the botanical advantages of hydrogen peroxide I'll save my energy. Be careful of pseudo-science on the internet. That article wreaked of opinion and poorly connected facts attempting to link phenomena and effect. I'll use plain old well water for now.

• vera_eastern_wa
    15 years ago

I know it doesn't help you now, but all my Cucumber 'Cusino' were done with the wintersow method of sowing seeds and then transplanted to final containers in the seed-leaf to just emerging 1st-true leaf stage. Same was done for the Pumpkin that went to prepared hills. There was no transplant shock whatsoever! Have done this with cucurbits since 2004 with awesome success. I've never transplanting at any bigger stage as I've heard it was too risky. Hope yours will recover for you soon :)

As for Hydrogen Peroxide I know it breaks down into water and oxygen and has no harmful effect on the environment. Might not be a bad idea to helps plants recover. Who'da thunk LOL!

Found this info on ghorganics.com....scroll down to Hydrogen Peroxide Treatment for bacterial/fungal prevention/treatment.

Here is a link that might be useful: GH Organics.com

• jaijai96_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Hey guys I'm a fourteen year old gardener who screwed up her cucumber plants and you guys just helped me solve my problem so thanks =]

• Jacquelyn Carmichael
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

My cucumbers always look so sad they hate me or something? They got really droopy when I transplanted them I might have to go buy some from the local nursery? idk everybody else is doing their thing being happy.

• Lindsay Lulu
    7 years ago

OK, wow. So many things wrong with that peroxide article that even a good highschool chemistry student could point out. In a word: SCAM. First of all, this 'chlorine dioxide' is CO2. That's right, the idiot is singing the praises of carbonated water. Secondly, he never bothers to mention that the conversion of hydrogen peroxide to water and oxygen happens very quickly. Even if you managed to get it on your plants, it would only be effective for a few minutes. This is someone who is very good at scamming ignorants. He tries to confuse with 'chemistry mumbo jumbo' and it's impressive. How about you go ask your doctor about ingesting hydrogen peroxide and watch them try to keep a straight face. The reason it seems to work is because you are now very carefully watering your plants and they liked it. Similarily, if you ingested it you would feel better because you are drinking so much more water and are now fully hydrated.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    7 years ago

CO2 is carbon dioxide and fatal.

• tete_a_tete
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

' ... that is an answer to a question my dad and I have been asking all our gardening lives - "Why is it that a drop of rain water seems to do more good for plants than 2 gallons of tap water?"'

Annie, I think the reason rain is so much more effective than irrigation water is due to the nitrogen that rain collects as it passes through the atmosphere.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida