Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaf Miners on leafy greens

Posted by angiemomma4 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 4, 12 at 18:35

Hi...I know that there are lots of posts concerning leaf miner damage because I looked here first in the search function before asking LOL! But I am still confused. I have such a problem with these on plants like chard, which I love because it is tasty and easy to grow, even in summer.But honestly, I would really like to find a way to avoid those yummy little chunks of so-called protein (ack) that burrow their way into the leaves of my greens. I know what the eggs look like for sure because it seems like they show up every time. Is there a systemic (organic) pesticide that will keep the little buggers from hanging out in the first place. Is it Neem? And if it's Neem, does anyone have some kind of schedule, or 'recipe' for how to use it effectively? Is the only way to control it with row cover? Is it too late to use row cover once the insects have shown up before on other plants in the past?

I obviously have an issue with unintentional protein but we're none of us perfect so please forgo the comments about how I should quit gardening if I freak on a bug. It's not like that. But I don't like the chunky little suckers hidden in my salad, either.

Thanks in advance,
Angie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaf Miners on leafy greens

The way to prevent leaf miners is to prevent the flies that lay the eggs from getting access to the plants. That is done with yellow sticky traps and row covers. Once the eggs are laid - and they are injected in between the leaf tissues by the fly, not laid on top - there is little you can do about them other than removing affected leaves.

A systemic pesticide? No way. You'd be eating it. Commercially approved ones? Sadly, yes.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Systemic Pesticides

o

Hi Dave,
Regarding those yellow sticky traps, do you experience problems with non target insects getting stuck to the traps? Like bees, hoverflies and parasitic wasps.

o

Generally no because I only place them in and among the leafy greens, no blooms that would attract the other insects. And the way my gardens are spread out helps too since those plants are so far removed from the blooming vegs.

In a small garden or one with leafy greens interplanted then yes, I can see how that could become an issue. Insect barrier covers would likely work best in that situation since no pollination is required anyway and miner flies have such a short season.

Dave

o

Thank you!
I never thought of the sticky traps and I didn't know that the eggs were actually injected into the leaves. Gross to think that there are pesticides that are 'approved' for use that are non-organic. The more I know, the less I want to eat from the store...but that means I gotta grow it so. Yah.

Between my poor, caterpillar, aphid-ridden brassicas and my greens, I suppose finding a place to grow them where I can actually PLACE the Agribon I did purchase is my next task. I started out doing this with the assumption that it was better to keep my plants spread around, but if I am to use the row covers I will need to lump them together a bit more next time.

Angie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here