Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good Bug or Bad Bug?

Posted by plantveggies (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 18:40

What is it? Sorry for the fuzzy picture. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good Bug or Bad Bug?

Can't tell the wing angle from the blurry pic but it is a member of the Fly order (Diptera) - possibly caddis or one of the many syrphid. He's mostly a beneficial as the larvae eat aphids.

Why? Are you seeing lots of them or damage to the plants?

Dave

PS: bugguide.net is worth bookmarking if you want to ID lots of bugs.

o

Looks like a Crane Fly. I don't think of them as any sort of problem, although they do have subterranean larvae that in large numbers can be problematic in lawns. In any case, I doubt they cause any problem in your veg garden. I don't think they even eat anything as adults.

o

I vote crane fly.
Should not be a danger - adults mate and die - don't even eat.

Adult
The main goal of the adult crane fly in the spring is mating. During the adult stage, the crane fly does not eat. For the short 10- to 15-day period, the adults mate on plants or in the air near the water. Afterwards, the female deposits her eggs. When mating and egg distribution is complete, female dies. The male only lives up to 15 days as well.

It is true that the early stages of the creature's development can be a lawn problem: http://lakewhatcom.wsu.edu/gardenkit/unwantedpests/cranefly.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: THE LIFESPAN OF A CRANE FLY

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here