Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buford_gw

Too late to grow butternut squash?

buford
10 years ago

I've never grown it before and have just become to rely on it as a food staple. Would it be too late for me to grow some butternut sqash from seed? I just had a really good organic one and I've saved some of the seeds.

We can get a hard frost in late October (which would be 120 days) but sometimes it's not until after Thanksgiving. Do you think I should give it a shot?

Comments (18)

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    10 years ago

I think you should give it a shot, but don't delay getting seed in the ground. I an presuming that an organic squash could be or not be a non hybrid variety. If you plant the saved seeds of a hybrid, it will be some different than the parent.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

I plant butternut squash every year in July

• seysonn
    10 years ago

In zone 7 GA(Buford ?), you could've planted them a months and half ago. But still there is a window of opportunity, since you have a long WARM growing season ahead and butternut squash , being smaller, should mature in time before the cold.

• christripp
    10 years ago

I would say to go for it. Were I am we get our "vine killer" Frost sometime in October (October being Thanksgiving here)
    So far, it's been so cool in my area that the squashes planted by seed in late May, haven't gotten more then 4-5 leaves anyway, so if it's nice and warm where you are, they should take off faster. You might consider buying some organic seed though too, just to insure they sprout. Saving your own might be a hit and miss, you could try planting both and see?

• Donna
    10 years ago

Here in east central Mississippi, we plant winter squash no later than the 4th of July in order to have them for Halloween. Hop to it. You ought to be fine. If you get early light frost, you can always cover the vines, though it will take a really big cover, so plan ahead.

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    10 years ago

I would go for it. But as noted, you might be careful with seeds whose heritage is uncertain. Butternuts grow as a vine on the ground, so a stiff freeze is survivable if you cover them well. The ground should still be pretty warm, which could help you in that. If you've got an old sleeping bag that you don't mind throwing over the garden, that would be great. Just anchor the edges with 2x4s. A few layered tarps might work as well. As the vines grow, I would train them into a sleeping-bag sized area. That's just a matter of bending the vines gently. I've criss-crossed a ten-foot vine into such an area. The plant doesn't seem to mind.

• buford
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey, they sprouted!!!!

{{gwi:75385}}

It will be fun to see how they turn out. If they turn out very good, I can save the seeds for next year.

• AiliDeSpain
    10 years ago

I'm growing it this year for the first time as well. My plants are about 8 inches tall now, once they start getting true leaves they grow pretty fast! Good Luck!

• cb-garden
    10 years ago

You inspired me to start some myself. I started mine on the 19 the popped outta the ground 5 days later. I was amazed i planted 10 and all 10 came up. Then i built a trellis for them.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

I planted mine last week, they're now up and ready to go.

cb - Winter squash doesn't really like trellising, and they get pretty heavy.

• cb-garden
    10 years ago

Thanks ltilton for the advice. I think ill try it anyways. What can it hurt. I have seen lots of other people do it. This is my first yr gardening and its all about learning why works and what doesn't.

• cb-garden
    10 years ago

Thanks ltilton for the advice. I think ill try it anyways. What can it hurt. I have seen lots of other people do it. This is my first yr gardening and its all about learning why works and what doesn't.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Good luck, cb. Hope you get some nice squash.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

What can it hurt.I have seen lots of other people do it....
    ---------------------------------------------------------

What can hurt is that if there are several squashes hanging down from a vine and then you get a wind blowing ... then the vine might not be able to hold on. Luckily, butternut squashes are not very big, in comparison to other winter squashes. but still not a good practice, IMO. You trellis cukse, summer squash, because they are smaller AND are harvested in a week or so. But winter squash needs to stay there for months.

• cb-garden
    10 years ago

I can always use slings they are easy to.make. besides it all a learning experience. Thanks for wishing me good luck.

• cb-garden
    10 years ago

I can always use slings they are easy to.make. besides it all a learning experience. Thanks for wishing me good luck.

• AiliDeSpain
    10 years ago

Here's a photo of one of mine.