shermthewerm

My garden pictures

shermthewerm
10 years ago

Another raised bed in the front yard.

Comments (31)

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

That is a very innovative way to grow peas. It looks really nice.

• shermthewerm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all your comments, Rita (I won't comment on each of my posts--hope I didn't annoy anyone).

We've been tweaking our "pea support system" for the past few years--still needs improvement. That's my 20-foot wall of peas, planted on both sides of the wires & it tends to get a little heavy towards the end of the season. The vines are over 7 feet tall & I harvest about 3 pounds every 2 days.

Also, thanks for the tip on multiple-picture posts; I will try your way next time.

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

I never thought of decorative peas before but you have definately done it. Do you start a Fall set after you pull them out when they are done in the Spring?

• shermthewerm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Rita. I try to make it look nice, as it it right in front of my house.

Thanks, Rita. I did try fall peas in a different spot last year after I cleared this bed of peas, garlic, & shallots. I wasn't too successful & probably won't attempt it this year mostly because everyone is so tired of the spring sugar snaps they need at least a year before they'll sound good.

I will be putting Asian greens, turnips, carrots, kale, and collards in this bed though.

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Sounds good!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Thanks for your generosity in sharing your garden moments. I love to see this kind of post rather than people crying an weeping about this insect an that disease...hehe

Plus, your design looks very rustic and naturalistic, rather than tamed. O' , I love that rooster.

• mandolls
    10 years ago

I have never seen a bed that large built with pavers. Impressive! Whats growing right in front of the peas?

• shermthewerm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seysonn, I prefer not to talk about the various pests & diseases in my yard. I spray off what I can with water, and if it looks too bad I just yank it. I love looking at everyone's gardens too.

Mandolls, I have a row of turnips on either side of the peas & then all around the border are garlic and shallots--I'll have enough to last for the year. I'm lucky my husband is quite handy & likes to help with the big garden projects, like building raised beds. I wish he'd take to weeding, though.

• Deeby
    10 years ago

I applaud growing edibles anywhere and everywhere. This is gorgeous-I love the blue olla !

• Charlie
    10 years ago

I love your raised bed. I made one in my backyard as shown in the picture. I planted artichokes down the middle that I am trying to overwinter in N. VA. I planted nasturtium on the edges and two goji berry bushes on each end.

• Deeby
    10 years ago

Pretty !

• Persimmons
    10 years ago

Sherm, it's interesting to read through this post and see your gardening style in a compact space. I was challenged with that too this year and had to resort to growing most things vertical, but I ended up with so much produce that I'm pleased with my results. About how many pavers did you use when you built the bed, and what size bed did you end up with?

Charlie, tasty looking nasturtiums. When will you get fruit from your goji berries?

If the picture loads, it's a shot of my garden this year around the end of June. I double dug the entire garden bed because I read that it increased the root space for more plants. I'd say it worked, considering the vigor and life of the tomatoes, habaneros, basil, and others I grew from seed.

• Persimmons
    10 years ago

The tomato plant at the far right is about 7.5' tall from soil to tip. The pepper plant growing in the front lawn was from seed I received from a coworker who grew the peppers in Dominica, where she originated. She called them "Bonda Ma Jacques", and they grew VERY well in Massachusetts. I'm excited to grow them again this year and begin collecting seeds. Other plants are a silvergrass, which my mom plants to divide, and annuals I grew from seed.

I can't wait for April, when my apple tree whips are delivered and I can start planting again...

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Yeah ! Those were the days !

I am also waiting for the spring to arrive, late April ? MAYbe.

I have already a small seed starting system in place and have been practicing. Few of my TEST peppers are budding and flowering. I will start seeds OFFICIALLY in early February. I have also built a cold frame. So I am ready. (grin)

• shermthewerm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Persimmons,
    My enabling husband built two of these beds for me (one on each side of the front yard). I don't know how many pavers he used (might have been close to a pallet). The yard is sloped so at one end I think the pavers might be 5 high, and on the other I think only 3 high. I do know the beds are 6' x 20'.
    It looks a bit different now this month! Half is empty, and half is still full of turnips. Everything else has been harvested.
    Because we don't have a huge yard, I've just been gradually removing grass to make room for more. The whole front yard was all grass when we moved in...now there's just one small patch (13' x 14'). As soon as I think of a way to turn it in to something pretty, it's gone!

This post was edited by shermthewerm on Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 17:15

• Charlie
    10 years ago

Persimmons - My understanding is that the goji berries should fruit a bit in the second year (this next year). Next year I should have 3 peach trees, one plum, one appricot, two asian pear, one fuyu persimmon, one cherry tree, two cherry bushes, two goji berry, two raspberry, two hardy kiwi vines, a strawberry patch and four fig trees that produce fruit. I will have jujube, blackberry, paw paws and two fuzzy kiwi vines that won't produce until a year or three.

• Persimmons
    10 years ago

Where did you purchase your pawpaw trees from? I've been extremely eager to get my hands on a sapling or even just the fruit, so I can plant from seed! It's on my list of must haves.

That's a tasty sounding orchard you've planted. Where in zone 7 are you growing figs? Certainly not the north east?

• Charlie
    10 years ago

I am in northern VA, Fairfax County. I got my shanandoah and seusquehanna (sp) paw paws from raintree nursery. I recently saved some seeds from a guy in Ohio who sent me some paw paw fruit to try. They were too ripe when they arrived so not very tasty. I don't know the variety, but probably overlease. In september I put about 10 seeds in the fridge in a sealed plastic bag and a damp paper towel to stratify for 90 days. I just checked them yesterday and cleaned the bag and replaced the towel to eliminate mold. They are ready now to plant. I can send you a few or I can try to germinate them and send you the rooted plants. I understand that the germination rate is low.

• Charlie
    10 years ago

Shermthewerm - I have an area that is grass that I am going to convert to another garden patch. It is about 5' X 20'. For me it is easier (leass work) and prettier to make it into a raised garden using landscape blocks like pictured above. To avoid digging up the grass, I am going to cover the entire area with cardboard (the worms love it) and fill it with a mix of free composted leaves, garden soil, composted manure, and top soil purchase on sale during the spring. Since I get only partial sun there, I am going to plant lettuce and greens (if I can control my urge to try blackberries in that area). The area is against a fence from where this photo of my pergola was taken.

This post was edited by CharlieBoring on Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 12:39

• Natures_Nature
    10 years ago

Shermthewerm,

I plan on making a trellis similar to yours, but I plan to grow tomatoes, squash, and melons on it. How did yours hold up, what gauge is the wire? Do you think it will work for heavier vegetables like I plan?

• shermthewerm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Charlie,
    The cardboard method is great--I would never again go through the work of removing grass. Last June I decreased the lawn by about 6'. Laid the newspaper/cardboard down, cut out some small holes in the cardboard, pulled the grass in the areas where the holes were, planted corn, then covered the rest of the cardboard with compost. The corn grew great there.
    Very nice pergola and patio by the way!

• shermthewerm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Natures,
    Sorry I can't answer what gauge wire it is--the trellis was a birthday gift about 10 years ago, but I can say it's held up very well. I used to have 2 honeysuckle vines on it, and those things get very heavy. I finally got tired of the upkeep of the honeysuckle, and removed it.
    I've since grown cucumbers on it (successfully), and I plan on using it this season for asparagus beans. I don't think you'd have any problems with the vegetables you mentioned--it's pretty sturdy.

• Persimmons
    10 years ago

Charley, that is one awesome pergola you've got. I like the way you have garden beds on the sides, but if it were my pergola, they'd definitely be twice or three times the width. Forget grass!

I wouldn't mind setting up a trade with you for the pawpaw seeds. Most of the nurseries I've contacted around Providence, RI (where I'm located) just sell "general" seed, and no cultivars. I'm told that they appreciate dappled shade when they're younger but fuller sun as the age to increase fruit production. I have the perfect spot for a miniature grove of pawpaws if you'd like to send a few seeds north.

Sherm, I have a feeling that my front lawn and driveway are will quickly resemble yours. I've got about 30 different seeds I want to try this year and so I've been laying down cardboard sheets and compost.

• Charlie
    10 years ago

Persimmons - I am going to try to germinate the seeds, since I don't know the germination rate. If successful, I will trade you some rooted plants, if you want. You are right about the shade. My two plants have been in the ground only a little over a year and I did not shade them. They suffered a little (the leaves turned a bit yellow) but seem to have recovered. My undertanding of paw paw growth is that the first year their energy is devoted to tap root development followed by four years of a bit faster growth. When they are mature, if they are in the shade, their fruit production is negatively affected, but the plant thrives.

• Natures_Nature
    10 years ago

Thanks sherm! I screwed the eye hooks in this fall, ill string the wire in the spring before the warm crops go in.

Another question, how are the wires attached to the eye hooks, is the tail excess wire just wrapped around, or is there a clamp of some sort to secure it from slipping?

Thanks,
    Nature

• shermthewerm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Natures,
    My mistake; I thought you were asking about the arch at the head of the raised bed. That was a gift. But as you're asking about the wires, I'm thinking you must mean the structure my husband rigged for the peas.
    If that's the case, here's what I learned:
    One end isn't an eye, but a hook, and he makes a loop in the wire (actually he used aircraft cable). Then he used crimps to make a loop. On the other end he used "Gripples" (apparently more info is available if you Google it), but they're used to adjust the tension.
    If you'd like pics of anything, let me know & we'll post it.

• Natures_Nature
    10 years ago

Sherm,

Very interesting.. I been contemplating how i'm going to make this trellis for awhile.

Do you have a gripple on every tier of wire, or? Pictures would be appreciated. Also, now that we are clear on the trellis i'm talking about, do you think that would hold up to cucumbers, squashes, maybe even melons?

Thanks

• shermthewerm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nature,
    Yes, there is a gripple on every wire.
    I've only tried this trellis for peas, and they do weight it down quite a bit (I plant 1 seed every 2" on both sides--so I'm probably pushing things...). That said, it's a 20' raised bed and we have not yet tried putting up any additional support (just one pole on each side). We are considering putting up a middle support this year, though.
    I think if you provided enough support, it could probably handle the vegetables you mentioned, but I usually just plant these and let them sprawl.

• Natures_Nature
    10 years ago

Sherm,

I'm building my trellis from the posts for my fence, so there's plenty of support. Wow, a twenty foot run, im sure it did sag a bit, my posts(4x4"s) are spaced 6' apart.

Wish me luck

Thanks,

Nature

• shermthewerm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good luck!
    Be sure to post pictures when you're done.

• Persimmons
    10 years ago

Charlie -- I would like to hear your success rates for germination. The same sites that discussed shade said that planting the seed directly into the garden helps it establish better than a transplant can because of that tap root.

Do you think your trees were established enough in the sunlight after just one year or did it take a few years.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!