Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Waterlogged garden

Posted by crouchsw 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 11, 10 at 18:58

Hello,

My watering hose sprayer malfunctioned while I was away for a few days. My garden is swamped (I sunk to mid-calf when I stepped in to grab a squash). About 1/3 of my corn plants are bending over, some of them have the tops laying all the way on the ground. I also have green beans, squash, and watermelon. I am most worried about the corn; is there anything I can do to salvage it? Does anyone think the others will have problems? I live in southeast Texas, so the temperatures have been pretty high (mid 90's during the days), so it should dry out pretty soon (we're also not supposed to get much rain in the next few days). Any suggestions? Thanks,

Stephen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Waterlogged garden

I had a wind storm come thru one year and flattened all of my corn...in tassle. What I did was put the 5' steel fence posts in around the edges & ran rope thru the corn back and forth, wrapping it around each fence post. Some I had to criss-cross to get 'em to stand, but...when all was said and done, I had a BEAUTIFUL crop of corn.

Good luck!

o
RE: Waterlogged garden

Stephen:

About all you can try right now is to prop it back up as suggested. Next year when your corn is about 12-18 inches tall, mound the soil up around the base of the plants. This will cause extra brace roots to form and the plants will stand better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here