Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westy1941

Green Pepper Blossom End Rot?

Carole Westgaard
10 years ago

A couple of the mature green peppers on my plants have a leathery-looking patch about 2" in diameter! It looks just like blossom end rot on a tomato plant only not as dark - just a light tan color. What's this? I'm in the Denver, CO area where it's been in the mid-90's for a week on and a week off - this week it's over 95 again. Weather? Any suggestions very much appreciated.

Westy

Comments (10)

• Anne Wolfley
    10 years ago

Sunscald is my guess.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Got a pic?

Unless it's actually on the end of the pepper and without seeing it, I agree with annew 21. Bells, more than other peppers, do sometimes get it. What sucks is that if you hate GREEN bells, but love RED ones, waiting it out another 2 months and hope they don't get it. ;)

Kevin

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Peppers are subject to BER just like tomatoes - same causes. It can be difficult to distinguish BER from sun scald on peppers because the colors are pretty much the same. But the pics linked below should help you determine which it is.

Either way the peppers aren't salvageable.

Dave

PS: see the CO counties gardening zones map at http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/4DMG/Garden/zones2.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: BER on peppers

• Carole Westgaard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the fast responses, all - it's a very light tan and the pix you forwarded, Dave, helped tons - I'm pretty sure it's not BER and is just sunscald. And no, it's not on the ends of the peppers - only on the side facing outward. The plants are full of other peppers that look fine - they are smaller and tucked inside a little more - behind these that were on the outer portion of the plants. But by 'not salvageable' do you mean that one pepper - or do you mean the whole plant??? I assume you mean if it's BER, forget the whole plant???

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    10 years ago

Whether it's sunscald or BER, it's only the fruit that is affected that isn't good. The plant is fine.

Rodney

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Most (better than 8 out of 10) of those affected pepper on that link are not BER. victims. It is just environmental rotting caused by some bacteria, just as it does happen a the kitchen counter or even in the frig. My experience shows (TO ME) that whatever it is(BER or NOT ber) happens in wet weather and happens on certain varieties ( e.g, ROMA

• ltilton
    10 years ago

If the pepper is large enough, you can salvage it, pick it and cut out the scalded area. The rest will be fine to use as a green pepper.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

Yeah, I had alot of pepper BER a few years ago, and like was just mentioned, picked them a little early and cut off the bad part.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Like ltilton and edweather, if it looks good inside, it's getting eaten!

Kevin

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Most (better than 8 out of 10) of those affected pepper on that link are not BER. victims.

Yeah I guess you could say that since 8 out of 10 of the pics aren't even of peppers.

But the pics that are of peppers was the point and they are pics of BER on peppers. Bacteria? Sure. That's how BER works - a damaged portion of the fruit is created by the mal-distribution of calcium in the fruit and bacteria invade the damaged area causing the discoloration and rot. That doesn't mean it isn't BER.

Just as all varieties of tomatoes are subject to BER given the right conditions, so are all varieties of peppers.

There is ample credible info available about BER. Unfortunately there is also a ton of highly INaccurate, anecdotal info about it available. One has to evaluate the credibility of the source of the info when it comes to understanding its symptoms, its causes, and its controls.

The only reason I say the BER or sunscalded fruit isn't salvageable is that many find the taste affected, off, bitter, etc. if it tastes fine to you by all means use it.

Dave

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz