Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woohooman

woohooman's 2013 solstice spectacular

Well, since everybody else is sharing, I thought I would too.

First we have what's left of my well-intended insectary after the gophers nailed it(I did manage to save some marigolds in a planter box closer to the action). Don't worry, the pics get better -- kinda?

Sunflowers
{{gwi:75619}}

Bachelor Buttons... :(
{{gwi:75620}}

Poppy, I think -- it was a wildflower pack
{{gwi:75621}}

Next we have the wide views of my chopped up plots around the backyard.

The main plot. Right now starring a potpourri of cool and warm veggies-- Swiss Chard, potted Zucchinis, some "past their prime" Leeks(time to make a big pot of soup), Broccoli that puts out just enough side shoots for my weekly stir fry and side dish, some Kale, a couple of Sunflower seedlings, some potted Borage(strictly for beneficials, maybe I'll try to eat some), and my very first Cantaloupes.

{{gwi:75622}}

Here's some of my Maters

{{gwi:75623}}

My in-ground peppers and my container peppers - from Red Bells to Ghost Chiles, I love me some capsaicin!

{{gwi:75624}}

{{gwi:75625}}

And some Cucumbers and Yellow Squashes planted in the patio flower box.

{{gwi:75626}}

{{gwi:75627}}

Now for the close-ups and early(and some late), soon-to-come harvests.

Cantaloupes

{{gwi:43745}}

I'm kind of proud of my trellis

{{gwi:75628}}

Swiss Chard

{{gwi:75630}}

{{gwi:75632}}

Broccoli, Broccoli, and more Broccoli...

{{gwi:75634}}

{{gwi:75636}}

{{gwi:75637}}

Cantaloupe

{{gwi:75638}}

Zucchinis

{{gwi:75639}}

Leeks

{{gwi:75640}}

Kale

{{gwi:75641}}

Tomatoes

{{gwi:75642}}

The earli(est) Peppers/Chiles - had a late start this year due to boneheadedness.

Red Bells

{{gwi:75643}}

Anaheims

{{gwi:75645}}
{{gwi:75648}}
{{gwi:75651}}

Jalapenos

{{gwi:75653}}
{{gwi:75655}}

Guajillos(Mirasol)

{{gwi:75657}}

Chile De Arbol

{{gwi:75659}}

7 Pot

{{gwi:75660}}

The Serranos, Poblanos, Japones, Bhut Jolokia(Ghost), and Naga Morich are just now starting to have some pod formation -- looks like a good year for HEAT ;)

And finally, last but not least -- The Guardians!

{{gwi:75661}}
{{gwi:75663}}
{{gwi:75665}}
{{gwi:75666}}
{{gwi:75667}}

Hope you all enjoyed mine as much as I do yours.

Happy Summer Everybody!

Kevin

Comments (19)

• Kevin Reilly
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Looks good Kevin.... enjoy it all

• lelia
    10 years ago

Looks great! Your veggies are way ahead of mine. Love the animal pics. I have two cats, one of which loves loves loves to garden with me. That's his favorite thing in the world, and your cat-in-the-garden reminds me of mine.

By the way, that poppy is a California poppy, which grows wild around here. They bloom, set seed, then don't bloom again until the following year, but here's a hint: if you keep watering them they'll keep blooming. I just love them.

• cb-garden
    10 years ago

Looks awesome. Love the dog and cat.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ melike -- Thank You.

@lelia -- Too funny. Same thing with this cat. He just thinks us out in the garden is the greatest thing since tuna fish.

@cb -- Thank you. I see you didn't waste any time putting that bamboo to work. :)

Kevin

• AiliDeSpain
    10 years ago

Love the title of the post and everything in your garden looks fantastic!

• mandolls
    10 years ago

Somehow - for a Wisconsin-er, gardening in San Diego, seems like cheating.

Looking good!

• another_buffalo
    10 years ago

You are right, mandoll, gardening in SD is definitely cheating - I did it for 10 years. Funny thing, I did not have near the weed and grass problem in SD (Lakeside) that I have here in Missouri.

Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL.. You guys are right -- the weather is very predictable and mild for the most part. We don't have to deal with nearly all the weather-related troubles most of the U.S. does. But, it does have it's drawbacks --- Because of that glorious weather, it doesn't rain nearly at all between April and November . Not only causing already alkaline soil to become more alkaline, but the water bill is outrageous.

Also, there is no winter killing or dormancy of pests. They're here all year long.

But yes, compared to others, it's not nearly as "trying" as many of you have it.

Buffalo: I don't know what the weed situation is like in MO, but I get plenty of weeds just because I can't afford to keep certain areas watered. My front lawn is damn near gone. BTW, Santee here.

Thanks for the props.

Kevin

Original Author
    10 years ago

A very modest early(morning) picking. Definitely enough to make a bowl of salsa fresca though.

Kevin

Original Author
    10 years ago

And a little bit more harvest and the last of my leeks. A little bit past their prime, but should go well in my last soup before the heat of summer really kicks in -- Potato, LEEK, and bacon. Yum!!!!!!!!

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 18:34

• uscjusto
    10 years ago

I think you deserve a WOOHOO!!
    Everything looks great!

• drippy
    10 years ago

One word: nice! :)

• ill_gardener
    10 years ago

wow.. beautiful garden, harvests and guardians :).

what is that white powder like substance at the base of the tomato and pepper plants?

Original Author
    10 years ago

uscjusto, drippy, and ill_gardener:

Thanks for the props! Yeah, things are looking pretty good so far this year.

ill_gardener: That's diatomaceous earth. I use it to control some of the slugs, earwigs and some other crawling undesirables. Also to try to keep the ants from climbing up plants and scaring off ladybugs from doing their job.

Kevin

Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's today's harvest, though I can't keep up with the Swiss Chard. Some Kale, Broccoli side shoots(they just keep on coming at the perfect rate), and the Rainbow Chard. Stir fry tonight! Oh! And the cat trying to get some face time!

Kevin

{{gwi:70196}}

Original Author
    10 years ago

Some Fourth of July eats!

The "cool"er weather stuff---Some Broccoli side shoots, Swiss Chard that just doesn't stop coming, and some Kale.

{{gwi:75668}}

And the STILL early, modest summer pickings -- Toms, Serranos, Jalapenos, and Big Jim Anaheims.

{{gwi:75669}}

Have a great 4th Everybody!

Kevin

• Quintuga
    10 years ago

Ah, inspiring!

But, uh... does cantaloupe NEED a trellis?

...I've given my fruit nowhere to dangle.

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

Very nice peppers, especially. Looks like SD does not suffer from imported cabbage moth, either...

Original Author
    10 years ago

Quintoga: In a Southern California tract home backyard, yes. Real estate is always at a premium here... even if it is just veggies. 1st time growing melons--- from what I've read, you don't want to let them dangle on a trellis. I make slings out of pantyhose.

pnbrown: lmao --- I have a flyswatter just for the loopers and spray BT almost year round.

Thanks for the props.

Kevin

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County