Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Did I just kill my bean plants with Liquid Fence?

alisande
15 years ago

For those not familiar with Liquid Fence, it's a foul-smelling deer and rabbit repellent made with eggs and garlic, among other things. The spray bottle says it will not harm plants. I've used it before on sunflower seedlings and established roses and other flowers, and never had a problem. But this evening, after observing what I assume is some rabbit damage on my bean plants, I sprayed them. The plants are young, only a few inches tall. About an hour later I looked at them, and they look like they're wilting. This is not good! Did I screw up?

Comments (17)

• iheartroscoe
    15 years ago

I'm not sure if this would kill your plants, but everything I have read said to put it around the veggie plants, not directly on them. Maybe watering them to wash off the leaves will help.

• alisande
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did pour water over them, but the last time I saw them tonight they looked dreadful. I just emailed the manufacturer. Sure hope I didn't kill them.......they looked so healthy!

• lilacs_of_may
    15 years ago

I've sprayed Liquid Fence directly on my plants, including some newly sprouted squash seedlings. I've never noticed that it did any harm.

• alisande
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Lilacs, that's encouraging. I sprayed my squash seedlings, too, and they look fine. Maybe it's a bean thing. I'm just hoping they'll recover.

What's not encouraging is that my email to the manufacturer was returned as undeliverable.

• farmerboybill
    15 years ago

Hay Alisa,

I use Liquid Fence a lot and have never seen any damage to Vegetables including strawberries, squash, Green beans, Brassicas, and carrots.

Do you remember to shake the bottle every time you use it? Maybe you got some extra concentrated stuff from the bottom...

• alisande
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey, Bill,

I do shake the bottle each time, but it was nearly empty when I used it today so I guess that could be a factor.

Do you spray directly on the vegetables? The beans under discussion are Kentucky Wonder pole beans and two varieties of bush beans.

I'll report on their condition in the morning.

• alisande
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Very happy to report that the beans look vastly better this morning. Not perfect (yet), but greatly improved. I won't do that again in a hurry . . .

• GritandGristle
    9 years ago

I used this product on my sunflower garden, which says harmless to plants and animals right on the front of the bottle, and a week later, 90% of my 8" or so sunflower plants were dead! So disappointing!

• Weicker
    9 years ago

If using ON vegetables as opposed to the perimeter, I adjust the dilution to at least half. I'm only on month 2... but so far, it is working.

• Peter1142
    9 years ago

I havent used on vegetables but I spray it on flowers and sprouts all the time with no ill effects.

• catherinet
    9 years ago

Is it possible you have moles? They dig tunnels under the soil and it can cause the roots of the beans to be exposed to air, and they die. You can gently press your foot close to the bottom of your plants, and can feel if there's too much give (meaning there's tunnels).
    Not too late to plant more beans.

• FarawayFarmer
    9 years ago

I don't know if there's a product for rabbits, but look at Shake Away. It's in pellet form, and is made from the urine of predators. We've used it successfully to repel Raccoons, and they make one for Deer.

We purchase it at a local Feed store, but it can be found on Amazon and other places.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shake Away

• ladams1221
    5 years ago

We've been using it on not-yet-blooming perennials, with no ill effects, but when we sprayed it on the annual flowers we put in yesterday, it burned them. The flowers have all curled up, but the plants look fine. It was hot (85) and sunny when we sprayed, so that may have done it.

• HU-924701286
    3 years ago

We have planted impatient plants every year And they are glorious. This year, our first to use Liquid fence, they look horrible. They have hardly bloomed and several have just died. Any chance the Liquid Fence affected the plants?

• HU-414340476
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

We have been spraying deer and rabbit repellant on our knock out roses as the deer were starting to eat the buds and blooms. Now all 8 of them look brown on top and look like they are dying no new growth thats the only thing we have put on them except miracle grow weekly. did this stuff just kill my roses?

• HU-388587412
    8 months ago

I sprayed Liquid Fence on my Liatris and coreopsis, which deer, rabbits and gorundhogs also love a few weeks ago. My liatris have turned black on some sprouts and 2 of the coreopsis plants are half black now. I'm very disappointed because they were doing amazingly well before I sprayed them. I shook the bottle each time I used them. Sigh. I hope I haven't killed them. Meanwhile, the Liquid Fence worked!

• HU-388587412
    8 months ago

I sprayed Liquid Fence on my Liatris and coreopsis, which deer, rabbits and gorundhogs also love a few weeks ago. My liatris have turned black on some sprouts and 2 of the coreopsis plants are half black now. I'm very disappointed because they were doing amazingly well before I sprayed them. I shook the bottle each time I used them. Sigh. I hope I haven't killed them. Meanwhile, the Liquid Fence worked!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths