Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neil_w

Blossoms but no tomatoes: do I have a problem?

neilw
10 years ago

My 6 week old cherry tomato plants (one sungold, one sweet 100) are growing fabulously, and are busting out in blossoms all over. None of the blossoms has yet turned into a tomato, however. Some of the earlier blossoms (from when the plant was small) have since fallen off.

I know it's early, and I don't expect to be harvesting yet, but I had a past experience one year where I had a zillion blossoms and never got any tomatoes. At the local farm stand last week, they were selling tomato plants about 18" tall and some of them had a couple of tomatoes on them. My plants are 4' tall at this point.

Should I be concerned? Am I lacking bees? I don't want to get to harvest season and have big tall bushy but tomato-less plants.

Comments (15)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Tomatoes are self-pollinating. Bees aren't required, just a moderate breeze.

It sounds as if you might have a good case of Blossom Drop going. I linked the FAQ on it for you below and much more info on it is available over on the Growing Tomatoes forum here. It is primarily air temps and fertilizer use related. Excess Nitrogen fertilizer means big healthy huge plants with only a few fruit.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Blossom Drop FAQ

• AiliDeSpain
    10 years ago

I think it's normal in the beginning for the blossoms to fall off and or not produce fruit. My toms have been planted out for a month and I only have three small tomatoes growing out of tons of blossoms.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

With your past plant, it was probably just a matter of VARIETY. Some varieties are just poor producers compared to some others. The 2 you have now are notorious for how prolific they are. I wouldn't fret one bit.

Like Aili said, blossom drop is fairly common with the first few blossoms.

As far as your concern about the farm stand plant- that plant has probably been in that container for 3-4 months(maybe longer). Hence why it's only 18" high and has fruit.

Kevin

• kapt_karrot
    10 years ago

Hello we'll not sure about bad producers I have a sweet 100 and I can't seem get all of them picked the plant flat out produces what kind of fertilizer have you applied if any how about your watering schedule I agree if you feed too much nitrogen it will not promote fruit , I recommend something high in phosphate and potassium I work for a farm service that sells fertilizer I apply a fertilizer called foundation it's a 7-21-1 with 1% zinc they love the stuff builds really strong roots then a little shot of KTS short for potassium thiosulfate 0-0-25 with 17% sulfur greens them up really nice

• neilw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the helpful responses.

My tomatoes are in an Earthbox, so watering should not an issue. For this year I used the fertilizer that they included in the kit (which I believe was 7-7-7). I thought I had good luck with stuff comparable to that in the past, but maybe that wasn't the best choice. In the future I'll consider my choice of fertilizer more carefully I guess.

For now I'll keep my fingers crossed that I'll still get a crop. The plants themselves couldn't look any better, just hope I get to eat something eventually. :)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

My tomatoes are in an Earthbox

Now that is a vital piece of information that changes everything! Should have included that in your original post.

Both a Sungold and a Sweet 100 in the SAME Earthbox? Those are both massive plants with massive root balls. Some of the biggest tomato plant varieties there is. Even In separate Earthboxes they would be very stressed but might do ok for awhile anyway. Even a 1/2 whiskey barrel isn't big enough for them. And yes, I tried that.

But in the same box neither will do well at all. EB manufacturer suggests only using certain varieties and those aren't on the list. They are rarely successful in any container of any kind simply because they are so massive.

You have two heavily stressed plants that will have difficulty surviving much less producing fruit. Do them and yourself a favor. While still possible move one of them to another container. The bigger the container the more likely the survival.

Dave

• kapt_karrot
    10 years ago

I agree with dave those plants get massive I know mine (and keep in mind I don't fertilize heavy due to the fact I use liquid concentrate that I injection into my irrigation lines and don't want to hurt my plants I water it down quite a bit) are taller than I am I'm 6'2" and it's got to be four feet in diameter but its got plenty of space to grow as its in soft sandy soil id be interested on seeing what would of happened if it was in a container like with fish depending on the size of there container will reflect their size and may in your case affect crop I'd try moving one of them Dave is right space is more important than the fertilizer used . But 7-7-7 is a balanced blend of NPK not a bad choice for fertilizer to start with

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Zone 6, NJ: Lets see. How are the temperatures(Hi , LO)?

I am in similar situation i.e. lots of flowers but tiny bit of fruits. Although I am in zone 7b, but it means very little when it comes to figuring out how I should be doing. For the last couple of days and for the next couple of days our temps have been/ will be in 54 to 66F range. So much for the zone numbers.
    Ok. so, if you are having similar temps, then you have to be patient until night lows climb over 60F and day highs reach 80s. Otherwise hang on to your lettuce. That is what I am doing.. haha.

• neilw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It appears I jumped the gun by just a few days. My plants are busting out all over with tomatoes now. I'd say at lesat 90% or more of my blossoms are getting pollinated. To maximize my chances, I have also started giving them the electric toothbrush treatment periodically; I don't know if I really need it but I figure it can't hurt.

As for the size of the plants... well, there's not much I can do at this point. If they end up being too much for the single box then I will take it as learning experience for next year. It certainly appears that I will have a good crop in the early part of the summer; we'll see how they do when the plants get really gigantic later in the summer.

• nancyjane_gardener
    10 years ago

Electric toothbrush treatment? I've never heard of that one! LOL Nancy

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Seems a little rough to me. Besides, tomatoes don't need help.

Kevin

• neilw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

>Electric toothbrush treatment? I've never heard of that one! LOL Nancy

Google for it, it seems to be a common technique. See link below for some examples.

>Seems a little rough to me. Besides, tomatoes don't need help.

Roughness does not seem to be a problem, it's just vibration. However, I am probably leaning towards the idea that it's not necessary. But I don't think it can hurt either.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato pollination videos

• mommomsgarden
    10 years ago

I can totally relate! My tomato plants are huge!! But only these 3 little tomatoes! I've had them for over 6 weeks!!

• dog_wood_2010
    10 years ago

Hi, this happened to me with my Sungolds. However, only the first few blossoms fell off. Now they are setting fruit by the gazillions. Hot night temps will cause blossoms to drop. It also helps if your tomato plants are in a breezy, windy location. Bees also certainly help. I have a few sunflowers growing nearby that keep the bees coming in droves. They are all over my tomato plants all day long. That's why I have gazillions and gazillions of tomatoes and will be feeding the neighborhood. Oh and they are great for breakfast sauteed in bacon grease alongside ham and eggs. yum!

• MzTeaze
    10 years ago

To the OP,
    I am in the same zone and state. My romas have baby tomatoes but the beefsteaks only have flowers. I have seen at least one bumblebee around the flowers, so I know pollination is happening. I'm just thinking that beefsteaks are a bit more finicky than romas.

Could be the same with your cherry tomatoes. You could check with your county extension office. I finally figured out to reach the office for Bergen county. They even have a walk-in office in Hackensack which is available M to F from 10 am to 2 pm for help.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz