Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neildeal_gw

A few quick questions about upside-down tomato plants

neildeal
10 years ago

Hi. I'm very new to this and have a few questions about the three tomato plants I've just put on my balcony.

The inverted one on the left is "Sungold", the inverted one on the right is "Celebrity", and the one in the clay pot is "Big Beef", which the vendor told me not to invert because the fruit it makes are too heavy. I bought the three of them at a farmer's market right below the patio.

The first question has to do with the soil. The guy who sold them to me at the farmer's market told me I'd have to transfer them to bigger containers and I made the mistake of listening to the lady at HomeDepot without double-checking when buying the soil and she told me to use {{gwi:76354}} I didn't realize until I'd finished everything that it does say on the back of the bag that it's not to be used in pots. Is this a big deal and will the plants die if I don't swap it out? I'd really rather not have to transfer them because it might mess up the plants and it will make a mess of my patio again, but I'll do it if ultimately necessary.

The next question has to do with the way they two inverted ones are curling up. The Sungold looks like {{gwi:76355}} and the Celebrity looks like {{gwi:76356}} Is that ok or is there something I should be doing about that?

In case it's not easy to make out from the photos, the stuff planted upright in the hanging ones is basil, which I've heard is extremely difficult to grow here in Seattle, but it they were only $3 each so I won't be too distraught if it fails.

Also, in case anyone is wondering how someone with my level of cluelessness managed to grow all the [much nicer-looking] stuff in the steel trough-thing below; I didn't. That stuff the building deals with.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to offer. I've never tried to grow anything before but realized that I must have spent at least $75 on tomatoes last summer, so if these can provide them for me this summer, it will be a success.

Comments (11)

• Slimy_Okra
    10 years ago

And you have found out why growing plants upside down is a gimmick at best and a setup for failure at worst. Plants grow upwards - responding to gravity and light.
    As for success in Seattle, try pots made of black plastic to keep the soil warm. Beyond that, and choosing good quality potting soil, there's not much you can do. Cherry tomatoes are more forgiving of cool weather.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Sorry for all the bad info you were given and the wasted $$$ it has cost you and now the many problems you'll have to deal with.

Is the Garden Soil a bad idea in containers? Definitely. It compacts badly, drains poorly and leads to plant root rot. Thus the warning on the bag. You'll find many discussions about the other problems it causes over on the Growing Tomatoes forum and the Container Gardening forum here. You'll also find many discussions there about all the issues of trying to grow upside down. It is a passing fad at best and a bad one.

While the Celebrity 'might' do ok in a proper sized container of 10-12 gallons and right side up and the Big Beef will need a container of at least a 12-15 gallons for success, the Sun Gold is a HUGE plant - by far the biggest of the varieties you have as it often reaches 4-5' in width and 8-10' tall. It seldom does well in even a 1/2 whiskey barrel sized container without a great deal of extra work and care and feeding. Next year stick with varieties that are bred specifically for growing in containers. There are many of them available.

Your plants are young enough and small enough that they can still be transplanted into a proper container mix and proper containers and do well IF you want to invest the money in making the needed changes.

Good luck.

Dave

• neildeal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks a lot for your help. I will go ahead and get three big pots and see if I can transfer them into them. It will take up a bit more patio space than I'd bargained for, but I don't want to give up yet.

Do you think the fact that they've already started curving will hinder them, or will they straighten themselves out once they're planted normally?

Also, I'm guessing I can plant herbs or hanging flowers in those hanging basket-things just so they aren't a total writeoff.

I should have probably come here before embarking on this instead of getting my info from Pinterest and a HomeDepot employee. It just looked like such a good idea and space is a huge premium for me here since I'm in a downtown apartment.

• uaskigyrl
    10 years ago

Hi NeilDeal,

Just so you know, I messed up pretty bad with my first two tomato plants but I was able to plant them correctly much older than yours are& they bounced back like nothing was ever wrong with them. They are thriving! So, you aren't too late!

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

They will straighten back up within just a couple of days. Herbs will tolerate the soil in those baskets better than most flowers will. Most herbs aren't real pickey about their soil.

For the tomato containers you need a good soil-less potting mix. Several brands are available or you can make your own using one of the recipes on the Container gardening forum.

Dave

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Grrrr, I wish they'd muzzle those big box employees. They should be trained to work the register, keep the shelves stocked, and to water plants. That's all!

You, of course, can take that stuff back for a refund and I hope that you do. Live and learn, I guess. We've all had to do it.

• neildeal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice. Thanks again for all the advice. I had no idea what I was doing.

• shermthewerm
    10 years ago

Well, your patio is lovely. I think your basil will do fine in those baskets, and you can easily transplant your tomatoes into larger pots. You will probably have quite a jungle by September, but you could probably keep them pruned as needed. Enjoy your tomatoes!

• neildeal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I transferred them all to larger pots (with proper soil) and the "Big Beef" one, which was already upright, did fine. The two that were initially planted upside down and bending up to the sky didn't seem to enjoy the transition. I sliced open the liners and pulled them through the metal baskets as carefully as I could but they still got a little beat up. I then did the best I could to train them back to being upright, but they're still hunched over and kind of kinked in the part where they were making a U-turn. I'm hoping a few days of being upright will fix them.

I was also able to to repair the sliced-open liners of the hanging baskets with chunks of a replacement liner, so I've got my basil in there and will probably add some herbs to them.

Thanks again.

• Athenian
    10 years ago

Don't worry about the kinks. The plants will grow toward the sun, kink and all. You may end up needing some sturdier support for them though.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Upside down planting is going against the nature of growing just about any thing. The name says it all :
    Up side, down( and down side up)..It is like wearing your pants from the other end. You will have hard time to keep it on, AND you won't be able to walk..hehe