Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hunter_tx

when do you harvest spaghetti squash?

hunter_tx
16 years ago

I am growing spaghetti squash for the first time, and I don't know when it's time to pick them. Is there a size guide, or other indicators?

Thanks,

Mrs H

Comments (11)

• gonefishin
    16 years ago

When you have the meatballs and sauce ready ?? I give up. When?

Someone that has grown a lot of it will be along shortly to tell you their favorite size. I think to let it get fairly mature looking, test the skin with your thumbnail and try a few younger and older to find what suits you best.

Meanwhile, here see if this will help some.
    Just my thoughts.
    Bill P.

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

Dang it, gonefishin! You stole my line! I was gonna say "when the meatballs are ripe."

• gonefishin
    16 years ago

Sorry Lilacs, at my age that may be the last chance that I get, you are probably younger than I. ":^)
    Bill P.

• gardenwolverine
    16 years ago

Well, from my minor experience last year, you wait until the attached vine turns brown. Usually it will be nice and yellow by this time. Then you cut it loose, and let it sit outside for several days until it cures and the rind hardens.

At least I think that's how it went with mine...

• digdirt2
    16 years ago

Winter squash is usually harvested in the "fall". Not sure what qualifies as "fall" in Texas ;) but here I usually harvest it in late September or early October. Sometimes they are ripe sooner if the weather has been especially hot. Depends on your planting date.

Check out these sites for info:

Harvesting Winter Squash

"Harvesting your spaghetti squash occurs once it has reached its buttery yellow or deep orange coloring. The vine tendril opposite the fruit will be now positioned opposite it and will also be brown and shriveled. Another sign of maturity is the squashes' skins hardening. Carefully cut your squash from its vines, leaving two inches of stem attached if possible."

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Spaghetti Squash

• koreyk
    16 years ago

you can harvest it anytime you want. It is always edible. However, for storage it will turn a slightly color tan to show it is done. but you can pick early and it will taste the same. the skin is more white before fully done for storage.

Last year I Picked all mine early because the SVB killed them all and they all were just fine.

• clockwork
    16 years ago

Dangnabbit I love spaghetti squishy...mmmm

Clock

• hunter_tx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, everyone! Mine are getting fairly large now, and I was afraid it would be overly large and "tough", but like I said, I've never grown them before. I planted seeds in late March, they tolerated a couple of frosts and a snow in April. They are very vigorous and seem to be tough plants, but some of the squash are already about 8-9 inches long- still white/green in color. The produced and grew much faster than I expected :).

Someone asked about Fall in Texas. We don't really have much Fall. We go from 100+ degrees at the beginning of Sept to cool spells coming in late September. Then it cools off slightly, but never really gets cold until late Nov. It's more like this: Winter consists of mild weather with occasional freezes, quickly warming up back to the 60's or 70's within a couple of days. Then Spring which is cool nights with days often getting up to the high 80's and 90's. Last June, we had consistent 100 degree days in the middle of the month which went into September. It's very unpredictable, but I generally grow a spring garden from March through June, and a winter garden from October until March.
    Mrs H

• Karen Pease
    16 years ago

If you've never grown them before, and you don't have much experience with them, just a heads up -- you don't see the "spaghetti" until you cook it and scrape the flesh with a spoon.

And yes, pick it at any time. :)

• darkcloud
    16 years ago

just before dinner is best ;_)

• kaityjanea_gmail_com
    12 years ago

This site is soo helpful!! I have broccoli, spaghetti squash, tomatoes, corn and pumpkins all for the first time this year and this site is awesome! Thanks for all the info! :)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus