Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Powdery or Downy Mildew on Cantaloupe

Posted by lasparks63 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 29, 09 at 19:52

Can you guys tell me which one this is and the best way to treat it? I've also got a pic of a leaf with some green squiggly lines. I've been trying to figure out what it is as well. Thanks so much for your help.

Lisa

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Powdery or Downy Mildew on Cantaloupe

The second pic is leaf miner damage. Not too much to be concerned about with that. Sorry, I can't help with the first pic, but it does look like some kind of fungal disease.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Haphazard Gardener

o

Hi Lisa,

It more than likely is downy mildew, as it is common on cantaloupe and watermelons (along with other melons). As Stephanie said, the second picture is a leaf miner, but not a biggie, unless it becomes an infestation.

Neem Oil will help with mildews, but it is also a pesticide so be gentle if using. The website below has more info on powdery mildew and leaf miners, if you need it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Downy Mildew

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 29, 09 at 22:46

Downy mildew makes angular lesions. Your plant looks more like powdery mildew.

o

Thanks for the help. I've sprayed everything down with the following recipe:
1 t baking soda
3 drops castile soap
6 drops neem
1 qt water
Sprayed tops and bottoms of leaves and will continue every week crossing my fingers this will clear up the problem. I'm going to remove the worst leaves, but don't want to pull off to many at a time so I can give the leaf production a chance to catch up. I've got quite a few big melons I don't want to lose. Boy, am I learning a lot after my first year gardening!

o

Why are you combining both baking soda and neem? I don't see a need for neem in the symptoms that you presented.

o

That's the recipe I found. I'm actually using the fertilome triple action that's a fungicide and insecticide so I can get rid of any bad critters at the same time.

I'm wondering how many leaves I can safely remove at one time so I don't overly stress the plants. I've got about 8 good size cantaloupes close to being ripe and I really don't want to lose them at this stage of the game. Any advice?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here