Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nfriday_gw

Will my seeds germinate in this heat?

nfriday
10 years ago

Hi- I posted this earlier in the Asian vegetables forum, and I did not get any responses. I live in the Chicago area, and I want to plant some Asian greens in my garden soon. I want to plant red komatsuna and some yukina savoy in my garden in a few days. It is supposed to be in the high 80's low 90's through at least Thursday. Does anybody have any idea if the seeds will germinate when it is that hot, or should I start them indoors, and transplant in a few weeks. Does anybody have any idea if the komatsuna is going to bolt during hot weather? I am hoping that it does not get as hot here as it did last summer. The first summer I had my garden we had 47 days where it was 90 or above, and it seemed like the only seeds that would germinate in the summertime were beans and green onions.

I want to also start some summer lettuce including Jericho and Magenta, because those are supposed to handle the heat well. I just know though that those will not germinate in 90 degree weather, and I might have to start them inside, unless somebody has a sure fire way to get them to germinate. Thanks, Nancy

Comments (4)

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area