Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cucumber fungus?

Posted by Riceloft none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 4, 11 at 19:59

My cucumbers all appear to be dying, and based on the little research I'm done, I think its a fungus. Can someone confirm this and give me some idea of what I can do about it?

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Here is a tomato plant that is near by. It appears to be suffering from early stages of the same symptoms.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cucumber fungus?

Daconil, contained in something like Ortho MAX Garden Disease Control, a concentrate which can be mixed with water and sprayed, will probably control it.

Your conditions look mighty damp. Just right for spreading fungus. Your situation would be much improved if the sun comes out I think. But a single application can have a dramatic effect in suppressing spread to new growth. It won't repair the damage already done.

o

• Posted by jordanz 8A Mojave Desert (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 6, 11 at 15:46

I had that happen to my cucumbers last year...I thought it was the aphids you could see flying around everywhere.

o

I don't know what it is but I get that on my cucumbers every
year. As soon as I see it I cut the effected leaves off. It doesn't
stop it, but delays it, and I still get plenty of cucumbers. I just
started to see signs of early blight on two of my tomatoes. Took
all the lower branches effected off and sprayed with the Ortho
Max. You have to catch the disease early with ortho max. It may
or may not help.

o

I ended up taking a sample to my local garden center before I saw the replies here. They did indeed identify it as a fungus. I've removed the affected leaves and started using a neme leaf extract spray on the cucumbers and nearby tomatoes. No new spots since I started doing this Sunday morning (its now Tuesday morning).

Thanks all!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here