Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynjrana

What is this vegetable plant?

cynjrana
9 years ago

My daughter went to the botanical garden and bought back three seeds. But she doesn't remember what they are. So I planted them making her happy, but secretly hoping they wouldn't sprout. Lo and behold, two out of three sprouted when I treated them like crap. I don't know what this one particular plant is, I think it may be a bean plant?

Comments (16)

• cynjrana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And another from a different angle

• loribee2
    9 years ago

Yup, beans. Get a trellis. They want to climb up somthing.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

It also appears to be bean, to me too.

You cannot remember what you planted? How the seeds looked like, how big they were ?
    Bean seeds should be easy to tell, if they are beans.

• cynjrana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The only one that actually look like a bean seed didn't germinate. SO i figured this was something else.

Thank you everyone for the responses.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

Some annual flowering vines have that look ...
    Seeds are small, black, with sharp crusty edges...
    Size of a peppercorn.
    Might just have to wait and see...give them something to climb.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Are you sure the 2 other seeds were vegetable seeds? Looks like morning glory to me, but I'm not a flower person. Something vining - hope it's not bindweed!

• tracydr
    9 years ago

Could be hyacinth bean.

• nugrdnnut
    9 years ago

Well it does appear that folks here can't be accused that they "don't know beans"... lol

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Not Morning Glory because it has no cotyledons and the leaves are trefoil. It isn't Bindweed (Calystegia sepium) because the leaves are the wrong shape for that too.

If it is a common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) there would have been two cotyledons (looking like half beans) at the bottom of the stem. Were there? It could be a runner bean Phaseolus coccineus because that doesn't have cotyledons. Whatever it is it will be happier outside so I'd harden it off and give it some fresh air.

I've never seen a Hyacinth bean so can't comment on that possible id.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I'm outnumbered - but I don't remember seeing heart-shaped leaves on the beans I grew last year, the beans I have sprouting now don't have them either (and do have the cotyledons mentioned). You'd be pretty sure if it it was a bean you planted though.

The heart-shaped leaves do look like a weed that climbs that my dad calls bindweed b/c it will vine around something else and choke it out, but that could be just his name for it.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

The first pair of leaves is always heart shaped on both Phaseolus coccineus and vulgaris. Maybe you just didn't spot them last year. Bindweed has heart shaped leaves throughout and no trefoil leaves.

This post was edited by floral_uk on Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 13:38

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Thanks - I didn't notice the heart-shaped leaves on the beans last year or this (have about 50% germination with 3 kinds I planted a week ago, didn't water them in, but we're getting rain all this week so should have more germinating). And I try to pull that bindweed as soon as I see it, no more than 6" tall ;-)

I'm still curious since OP says the seed for this one didn't look like a bean, and I'm sure she would have noticed the thick "bean" head pushing up when it germinated and the half-bean-shaped cots a little later.

I also didn't notice that the cots and stem were dark-colored on the black (Kentucky Wonder) beans I planted last year, but they are on the black (Jackson Wonder and Cherokee Wax) beans this year!

Please keep us posted on the progress!

(I don't know beans...)

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

"I planted them making her happy, but secretly hoping they wouldn't sprout. Lo and behold, two out of the three sprouted when I treated them like crap."..."The only one that actually look like a bean seed didn't germinate. SO i figured this was something else."

If they were neglected and unlabeled it would be easy to forget what type of seed got planted in what pot. My vote is that it's a bean.

Rodney

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Runner beans (Phaseolus coccineus) don't push the half bean shaped cotyledons out of the soil in the same way as Phaseolus vulgaris.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I just went out to plant more tomatoes, looked at my beans and what do you know, the first leaves ARE heart-shaped!

Can I change my vote? ;-)

I understand the conflicting desires - my DD started some tomato plants from Burpee seed that was mislabeled I had left over from last year, her science fair partner took some plants but we still have 7 of them - 3 in 1 small yogurt cup that need to be separated since they were started on Mother's Day. Only ones left inside under lights - tried giving a couple to my parents who like "regular, red, beefsteak tomatoes" (which these are) and they wouldn't take them b/c they were small and not hardened off. I guess I'm going to have to find room for them somewhere...

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert