Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arwen2

Cannonball squash

arwen2
10 years ago

Last year I ordered a new type of winter squash seeds from T and M. Winter squash is probably my favorite vegetable; a new variety to complement my usual buttercup variety was exciting. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the squash. I did notice that they did not offer it this year. Hmm.
I planted the whole packet of seeds on a large mound in the middle of my garden. The vines ran everywhere, every bloom produced a squash. I was so excited! Bumper crop! I am thinking that the squash name was Conception. I harvested 3 squash that looked like the picture on the packet, green and white striped. Similar to a potato dumpling squash. They were delicious!
However, the other squash looked entirely different. They were a solid off-white color, all uniform in size, about 4 inches in diameter and round. They looked like mini pumpkins. In September I harvested 118 of them. Spectacular harvest from about 8 measly seeds.
They were not only the size of a 5 pin bowling ball, they were just as hard. Normally I stab a few holes in a squash and cook it in the microwave. There was no way to stab holes in these things. I tried sawing on them with a serrated knife and that didn't seem to be entirely successful either. My first attempt at microwaving them resulted in a loud BANG, the door of the oven blasted open and the squash it the wall on the other side of my kitchen. The squash itself was quite tasty...pale yellow somewhat stringy flesh, but yummy.
My second attempt involved baking them in the oven at low temperature. I still couldn't crack them open when done. I created a challenge for my friends...figure out how to cook them and open them and I would give the winner a years supply of them. Only one taker. She baked the squash and then took it outside and beat it with a rock until the shell split. Too much work for a tiny squash.
It is now the end of June and I still have over a hundred of these little suckers in my cellar, just as firm and hard as the day I picked them.
How do I get rid of them? My husband wants to paint them black and stack them beside the 2 decorative cannons on our front lawn. Storage is an important feature of winter squash, but this is ridiculous. These are indestructible.
Any suggestions? And what the hell are they?

Cyndy

Comments (9)

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    10 years ago

Don't know what they are but have you tried cutting them open with a hacksaw? I had some insanely hard little pumpkins last year that were impossible to get a knife through. I had to use a hacksaw on them to saw them in half so I could get to the seeds (roasted the seeds for snacking).

Rodney

• arwen2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion Rodney! A hacksaw might work if you could put them in some sort of vice to hold them while cutting. Since we have neither, we haven't tried it. Right now, I just want to get rid of them. There is no way they are going into my compost! It's as if they were the result of a mad scientists experiment. Even the SVB and squash bugs stayed away from them, while happily munching on my nearby buttercup squash.
    We may have to burn them.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    10 years ago

I wonder if soaking them in water for a day or two would soften them enough to where you could easily bust them up with a hammer (or by some other means). Small chunks would be easier to get rid of than whole squash.

Rodney

• Christian
    10 years ago

before you bake them, can you try and thow them up in the air and have them land on your concrete driveway? That out to work.

• arwen2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The only reliable way I found to crack the little monsters was by inadvertently letting them explode in the oven. Very messy. Even then, the shards of the shell are like very hard plastic. You could easily cut yourself with them. These are not normal. They are Frankensquash. I have tried smashing them on our brick walkway and that didn't work either. I think they are headed for the burn bucket.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Sounds like my black walnut challenge some years ago.
    They sound more like gourd than squash.

If they taste good, the I is worth the challenge. Here is what I would do:
    Drill them ( upside, as they stand firm) === heat your oven to 300F === bake as many of them as you can , to make it pay for the electricity. You can also put some water at the bottom of the pan to soften the rind a bit., === after cooking, split, take the meat use it === if too much freez for pie making
    AND FINALLY, NEVER , EVER AGAING BE TEMPTED TO PLANT THEM...hahaha

• lilyd74 (5b sw MI)
    10 years ago

Could the seeds have been switched? I found a reference to "Cannon ball gourds" for crafters - picture attached.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cannon Ball Gourd

• HU-13312743
    5 years ago

Oh dear what a mess you are all getting in. This is a cannon Ball Squash. Halve them using a large sharp knife and a mallet cutting in half through the stem. Scoop out the seeds with a small metal spoon. Place the halves cut face upwards in a pan of water. Level to be just below the tops. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 - 25 mins. From this point onward its all yours to create what you want. I like a small dab of garlic butter but anything goes really. They can also be baked in the oven with suitable filling.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

The last post to this thread was five and half years ago!! One would hope the issue has been satisfactorily resolved by now :-))