Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are these white bumps on my tomato plant?

Posted by mayhem69 Pa (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 23, 09 at 20:42

Hi, i have 2 tomato plants that have small white bumps at the base of the plant. The plants look droopy also. What is this?
tomato disease?

It's only 2 out of 16 plants that have these bumps on the base and they don't look so good.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are these white bumps on my tomato plant?

Those bumps are actually places where the vine is willing to grow new roots. They are normal.

As for the plant not looking so well, are you in the area that has been cool and soggy for so long?

Is it a container plant or in the ground?

o

I am in Pa. and these plants have been in the ground since May 1. It has been a little wet this month buy not that bad, not that cool either. It's just strange that only 2 of the plants have these white bumps going up a few inches from the base and the other 14 do not.

o

I just went and bought a tomato plant today, has the same thing. I just planted it a bit deeper to cover those areas, they are roots, or will be=)

o

We may be talking about different things. The brownish nubs/bumps are roots to be.

Are you meaning those, or are you talking about the very fine white stuff that looks like someone sprinkled sugar on the plants stems, yes? I think we're all looking at the main stem, instead of the side stems where the white stuff is.

The leaves look more than wilty, they look like they are dying, with curled leaf edges. I haven't a clue as to either of these, unfortunately, just was trying to see if we were all talking about the same things.

o

It's kinda far up to be growing roots?

o

It's kinda far up to be growing roots?

Tomato plants like all members of that family have what are called adventitious roots (you can Google that term to see photos) that can develop all along the length of the stem. That is what the small bumps are. Perfectly normal but more pronounced in some varieties and more pronounced in wet humid environments. Contact with the soil is not required but if there is soil contact they will develop into full blown roots.

There is also a flat brown scabbed injury on your stem photo and the clear crystalized sparkles are just the fine hairs normal on all surfaces of the plant.

However the leaves in the photo - they are dead and a source of stress or possible disease and need to be removed from the plant. Can't say what cased that problem - could just be plant age as plants normally die from the bottom up.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here