Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reedmac

Dr. Earth Tom/Veggie - tea or dry use?

I've fertilized once so far in my raised beds with Dr. Earth's Tomato and Vegetable dry mix fertilizer and due for another dose in a couple weeks (says every 2 months on package). Wondering if I should mix up a "tea" this time or just work it into the soil again - this soil is "new" meaning the native sandy loam amended with organic matter for the first time this year and when tested a couple of months ago had very low N, high K low P....

Any experience with the difference in using it different ways?

thanks as always - learning so much from everyone's expertise and experience.

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Not familiar with the particular product but the standard advise is to follow the label directions.

Normally with dry granular fertilizers they were meant to be used that way, dry as a side dressing for the plants. If you want to use a liquid form there are many brands available to use as liquids.

And liquids do tend to work much better in new beds that haven't yet developed an active soil micro herd.

Dave

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Today I was in HD and found a good all purpose liquid fertilizer. It is a MG 4-pack. The analysis is: 12-4 -8 . It is a good ration (3-1-2 ) plus it is convenient.
    The bargain part is that it cost about 10 cents per once. I paid $6.65(tax included) for a total of 64 oz. The directions says use 1 TB spoon per gal. So 64 oz will make 128 gallon to be applied using watering can. That is the bargain of day for me. I also have MG Shake n Feed Slow Release. That one costs about $2.50 per pound. Still not bad. No wonder MG is making the money and staying in business. I found some of the alternative (sold by Amazon,etc ..) outrageously expensive like Foliage Pro. Hehe, who wants foliage ? They couldn't even make up a good name for their product. JMO

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry I should have clarified - on the back it says you can also make a tea with the stuff by adding one cup to a gallon of water and letting it sit 24 hours - then strain the remaining matter and put that around your roots, then use 1-2 cups of the liquid per plant. It also says it can be used full strength as a foliar feed. It's a 5-7-3 ratio plus micorrhizae and microbes.

So Dave - then it seems like it would be a good idea this round to use the liquid form yeah based on your last comment? It doesn't say whether this would replace the dry side dressing treatment but I'm guessing it would? So then I would side dress again in August? Sure seems like a long time away....

link to product below.

And seysonn that is a deal! The Dr. Earth's has lots of other soil-building goodies in there that I need in my new soil as I try to build it up. Seems like it will have more of a long term effect as far as overall soil health, at least that is my thinking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr. Earth tomato veggie and herb fertilizer

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

So Dave - then it seems like it would be a good idea this round to use the liquid form yeah based on your last comment? It doesn't say whether this would replace the dry side dressing treatment but I'm guessing it would? So then I would side dress again in August? Sure seems like a long time away....

Sounds like it should be ok as a tea then based on that info. But since you are working on getting your micro herd developed too I'd feed again in mid-July 'cause I find I get better results with a 6 week cycle rather than 8 weeks during the high heat of summer.

Or as an alternative, side dress them with more fresh compost. The herd has to eat. :)

Dave

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

excellent then i will mix up a batch and use it right away, planning to side dress again in mid-july. thanks dave!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?