Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newatthis22

Will these cukes come back?

Newatthis22
10 years ago

Well, I think I killed my cucumber plant. It had a bit of PM on it so I used the skim milk - water mix. 1/5 milk, 4/5 water. I came out today and one entire cucumber plant looked dead and the huge plant I have has a lot of limp leaves and huge portions of dead looking plant

Will these get through this and bounce back? Or is the plant done for?
Thanks

One plant is sweeter yet another is bushmaster, and the third was a hybrid that I don't remember the full name

Should I clip off the limp leaves? I mean, the one plant ONLY has limp leaves, but the other plants seem to have some leaves that are okay (thankfully).

I am assuming that I used to much milk.

Here is a picture of the plant that only has a potion of the leaves hanging limp.

{{gwi:78071}}

This post was edited by Newatthis22 on Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 21:11

Comments (12)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

It might. All you can do is wait and see.

That is the problem with many of these home made concoctions. Folks think they are safe to use just because they are home made when in fact they often do more damage then the reason they are being used did to the plant.

When in doubt stick with the standard practices and treatments not some "magic potion" someone just made up.

Dave

• Newatthis22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, a very sad lesson I learned! The plant was doing so well beforehand.

Do you think I should clip off some of the "dead" leaves? They look so wilted and feel so weak and dead.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Do you think I should clip off some of the "dead" leaves? They look so wilted and feel so weak and dead.

No leave it alone. If it has any chance to recover it doesn't need additional stress placed on it by cutting off leaves.

Dave

• seysonn
    10 years ago

@ Newatthis

First off, You keep talking about DEAD leaves...DEAD plant... But looking at your pictures I DON'T see a dead leaf. Cucumber leaves are VERY tender and sensitive. When disturbed too much, wiil not come back to their previous state. For example, when you spray them HEAVILY, the weight and pressure can cause some damage, just like heavy rain or wind.

Secondly; I do not believe a solution/spray 1/4 Milk/Water can kill a cucumber plant . I have sparayed cucumbers and squashes, many many times in the past with milk/water (I use more milk , 40% milk). I have never seen anything side effect on the plants. Just less than a week ago I sprayed my cukes and some squash with the same(as preventive). They are doing just fine.

• Newatthis22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The only reason I blamed the milk spray was because I used it late afternoon and by the next morning one of the entire newer plants were all laying on the ground instead of standing up.

Some of the leaves are not very wilted to the point of barely hanging on to the plant. So I'm just going to let them fall by theirselves.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Secondly; I do not believe a solution/spray 1/4 Milk/Water can kill a cucumber plant . I have sparayed cucumbers and squashes, many many times in the past with milk/water (I use more milk , 40% milk). I have never seen anything side effect on the plants.

Sorry but lots of reports of it doing just that - damaging the plant. Milk contains fats that easily clog the leaf pores and coat the leaf stoma. Plus those fats encapsulate the bacteria and prevent the heat and/or air exposure from killing them. Plus what time of day did you spray?

Time of application can make a BIG difference. Most all the home remedy sprays I have ever seen include a "do not spray in the direct sun or heat of the day" warning.

Dave

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

I've read that "less is more" regarding the milk solutions, like 1 part milk to 10 parts water. And that using a solution more than 1:3 milk to water CAN do some harm.

Kevin

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Milk contains fats that easily clog the leaf pores and coat the leaf stoma

@ Dave,

Op mentioned that he used SKIM MILK!!!. Therefore the was no fat in there.
    Another thing could be jus some kind of coincidence. Just like people dream and something happens ...coincidental .
    Just yesterday(suddenly got into sunny 95F, after couple of cloudy cooler days), some leave on my beans (tip of them) got burned half way and some leave on some tomato plants were wilting too. Had I sprayed them the day before with anything I might have wrongfully blame that.

I always spray with 2% fat milk(50/50, 40/60). never had an incidence of plants dying or wilting.

• Newatthis22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I sprayed the remedy around seven pm when it was cooling down and the plants were officially in the shade.

• gsweater
    10 years ago

Milk does work - I use it regularly on my cukes, squash, and pumpkins at the same ratio. I'm certain something else is at play here. I say hold off on cutting anything and let the leaves show a bit more to show what the issue is.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Considering other possibilities - New, do you have yellow&black striped beetles in your cukes? The fact that one plant is wilting and the others aren't, which were presumably sprayed with the same solution, is suggestive of bacterial wilt.

Here, it would be early for that, but your plant sure looks like it. If you cut off a leaf, hold your finger to the cut place then pull it slowly away, the sap from a plant afflicted with bw will pull away like a thin strand of gum.

• Newatthis22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, it demolished one entire plant and only affected 1/3 of the bigger more established plants.

And no beetles of any kind. I check very often for pests.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH