Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suburbancitypicker

Day 6 - Dead Peppers Already

suburbancitypicker
10 years ago

This is my first ever attempt at growing anything so please bear with me...

I have had this dream of growing vegetables for a while now and now that I've recently had Baby #2, I love the idea of feeding him foods I've grown myself. Someone told me about these City Pickers boxes at Home Depot that are self watering, fail safe and perfect for people with little to no space to grow anything - which is us.

So, we bought 2 boxes and after speaking with someone at Home Depot and then going to a gardening center and being told completely different information on what we could grow at this time of year and what soil to use, etc,, we were really confused. In the end, we planted some cucumber seeds in one of the boxes and in the other we planted some carrot seeds and 2 pepper plants. I actually have no idea how the carrots or cucumbers are doing but our peppers are already dead.

We used a 50/50 mix of top soil and mushroom compost in each box. We also used an organic fertilizer. The boxes are self watering but the directions said that once the seeds started to grow, they'd need watering daily. So, we've been watering the peppers every day. When we bought the plants, one of them had a little pepper growing but now on day 6, the pepper has rotted and the plant is dead.

Is there any salvaging my pepper plants? And is there any way to tell if my carrots and/or cucumbers might survive?

Thank you so much,

Comments (10)

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Almost certainly you're overwatering. Possibly the cucumbers might survive. And you can plant more seeds.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Could be any number of reason for the peppers to have died but over-watering, as already mentioned, is one of the most likely. No way would peppers need or want to be watered daily. They prefer to dry out at least partially between watering.

And since you used top soil in a container, much less a self-watering one, rather than one of the recommended soil-less mixes, over-watering would be even more likely because top soil drains so poorly.

If the plants are dead then there is no way to rescue them but it is still early enough to replace them.

No way to know if the carrots and cukes will survive but cutting way back on all the watering will give them a chance.

I suggest some bedtime reading over on the Container Gardening forum here to learn about all the unique aspects of growing things in containers - proper soil mixes, proper feeding and watering, etc..

Dave

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

I think your first mistake is in thinking that you can go to a Home Depot to get advice on vegetable gardening. If you have two young children, you may feel you don't have time to learn how to garden. I don't think it's rocket science but you do need to learn the basics as in anything else. Get a good book out of the library for beginners. Vegetable gardening in containers is possible, but basic gardening skills, like when and how to water, knowing the needs of each plant you are trying to grow, understanding the different soil choices for containers, and the use of fertilizers, will help you succeed.

Also, I wonder what kind of advise on fertilizers you would get at Home Depot. If you are eating food you are growing, with a little know how, you can grow organically and be better assured that you are feeding your family the healthiest food possible. If you need more advice and guidance, try a reputable nursery in your area instead of Home Depot. Preferably one that supports organic gardening.

• DownBabylon
    10 years ago

Agree with the msgs. above. Self watering systems almost always keep things over-watered, unless you let the box dry out before putting the water in.
    At the same time, I doubt the seedlings died from over-watering directly. They could have died from a disease (Pythium and other "damping off" diseases love wet plants).
    Overfertilizing can also be a problem but unless you totally blasted them, that's unlikely to have killed them.

If you just want a few peppers, the best thing to do is buy transplants from an organic gardener, or start your seeds in small cubes indoors, then transplant them to the box, to soil, or into a container once they have a few true leaves on them.

• suburbancitypicker
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I should have researched this more. I will buy another pepper plant and water it much less. I checked the cucumber/carrot box and saw a tiny bit of green poking up so I'll stay hopeful on that one but water it much less.

I'll head over to the Container Gardening Forum now... Thanks again!

• nancyjane_gardener
    10 years ago

Believe it or not, our HD actually has TWO master gardeners working in the garden dept! They try to space them out so one is on duty each day during the regular business hours!
    They actually seem relieved and happy to talk to someone with a bit of know how in gardening! LOL ! We have some great conversations!
    I don't buy my starts there, however. I go to a local organic nursery. Nancy

• lkzz
    10 years ago

As you gain some head knowledge, start a compost even if it is a small one in a good sized receptacle. The best thing for feeding your soil is using compost as an amendment, IMHO.

Don't get discouraged - you can garden - enjoy yourself.

Below is the Soil, Compost and Mulch forum link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil, Compost and Mulch

• gin_gin
    10 years ago

You didn't follow the directions that came with it as far as what to fill it with. The directions specifically say to use a soilLESS potting mix. You say you used topsoil and compost, I wonder if that is causing it to stay too wet. Topsoil really isn't recommended for any type of container.

As far as watering, with a self watering container you can't really overwater, if you're using the fill tube. You're supposed to have water in the reservoir all the time, and the overflow holes prevent you from over filling. Again, that's using the proper soilless mix. Now I just bought one of these today, and this is my first try with a SWC, so we'll see how it goes.

• howelbama
    10 years ago

As gin gin noted above, I think one of your biggest problems is the mix you used to fill them. Lots of good recommendations in the container forum for that, but at the very least it should be a potting mix, not potting soil... And definetly not top soil.

Also, did you get dolomite lime and use it per the instructions?

I grow mostly in raised beds and buckets, but I purchased one city picker this year and I'm giving it a try with some okra. I used raybo's mix in mine.

• gin_gin
    10 years ago

I just wanted to post an update. I followed the directions that came with the box to the letter, except for how many plants they said you could put in it.

Believe it or not the instructions said you could put 8 pepper plants in it! I knew that would be too many, so I put 4 peppers and 1 columnar basil. The plants are quite crowded, so next year I will plant only 3 peppers. Despite being overcrowded the plants look amazing. They are way happier than my other peppers that are in regular pots. And before anyone says too much nitrogen, there are dozens of peppers growing and dozens more flowers, you just can't see them without pushing back the foliage.

So to the OP if you see this, I would say try again next year, but follow the instructions! :D

{{gwi:78201}}

{{gwi:78202}}