Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hnycrk

Pulled my onions today.

hnycrk
10 years ago

With all the rain we've been having lately I figured if I left them much longer they would rot. Im glad i did because some of them did rot. I left my garlic because its in a raised bed and draining much better. Here's the haul.
{{gwi:78379}}

This post was edited by hnycrk on Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 21:43

Comments (11)

• Brandon Smith
    10 years ago

Nice work! How long were they in dirt?

• hnycrk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Since the day after Halloween I belive, give or take a few days.

• planatus
    10 years ago

These are overwintering onions I pulled last week. The yellow ones are Top Keeper and Bridger, and the red ones are Desert Sunrise. I direct-seeded them in August and grew them under a row cover tunnel through winter. Now they are curing under the wood shed.

This is my second year growing overwintering onions in Z6 and what fun! The main season onions won't come in until at least mid-July, so these are great to have around.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Why are you all pulling your onions while the tops and necks are still green and wet? Their storage life will be severely shortened so some sort of alternative preservation - freezing or dehydrating - will be needed. Peeling and root trimming without curing first only shortens the storage life further.

Rain won't rot them unless you have really poorly draining soil and standing water so the rotted ones you found may not have been caused by the rain.

Dave

• christripp
    10 years ago

These look amazing. I have never had luck with onions but your harvest is inspiring me to give it another go.
    Do you know if onions can be planted in the fall to over winter in a very cold, heavy snow environment (Ottawa Canada) and then left to grow that next summer for a next fall harvest?

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Agree with Dave.
    Also noticed they are peeled !?

• planatus
    10 years ago

I noticed the same thing in the first photo, but as for pulling mine while still green..... Some of the necks were breaking and we were getting a lot of rain, 8 inches in two weeks, so I decided the onions were better off slow curing in the wood shed. It will take them 3 weeks to dry, with gradual trimming in stages. I did this last year, and the Top Keepers stored until they broke dormancy in November.

I let the shallots dry down in the garden in August, but the rest of my onions get pulled as soon as they are ready and then slow cured.

• kapt_karrot
    10 years ago

Nice but why peeled and trimmed?? I pulled a row of my reds yesterday not because I wanted too but out of need I had to, giant pumpkin decided it liked where they were growing and was toppling over there tops one question what's the best soil for onions?? I have pure sand almost to the point of a sand box. What soil can grow the biggest ,do raised beds with compost fair better than the ground?? Just curious mine were average softball size.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

but the rest of my onions get pulled as soon as they are ready and then slow cured.

That's it, they aren't ready. Necks break for all sorts of reasons but it doesn't mean the onions stop growing. Wait until the tops turn brown and the necks dry.

Top Keeper, properly harvested and cured, will store well into February or early March for me.

And peeled - all the OP can do with those now is coarse chop and freeze or dehydrate them.

Dave

I understand your concerns about all the rain but assuming well draining soil it really won't hurt them.

• hnycrk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They went into the dehydrator. That why they were peeled.

• AiliDeSpain
    10 years ago

Planatus-for your overwintering varieties did you start them from seed? If so when do you plant them out?