Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hudson___wy

Rhubarb

hudson___wy
9 years ago

Ummmmm........story complete - need one say more!! The joys of gardening - it is well worth it !

{{gwi:78735}}

Comments (5)

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    9 years ago

I bought 5 plants last year, they were dying before I cut the stalks
    But least I had my own rhubarb raised with organic fertilzer
    I ate it either baked my itself or with my own apples yum yum
    so bought 3 more plants several days ago to try again.....
    what did you find growing them.. what are the secrets to rhubarb ? Have read lots and books and on forums...
    Thanks all
    ean

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Jean - wished we had a secret treatment method that would help - they just like Wyoming. Other than not cutting more than about a third of the stalks at a time until new ones grow and harvesting them for about 90 days - we just water them good. I do put a little all purpose veggie fertilizer on them a couple of times during the spring/fall. We prefer red stalks over green stalks (for appearance in cooking) - It seemed like it took a couple of years for the plants to take off - now they are very hardy !

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

We all have things that others would like. And spend a few months babying seedlings to find failures or diseases or endless questions as what went wrong...

Rhubarb grows as a weed for me...chives, wild thyme, garlic...all come up in the spring on their own every year no matter the harsh winters...
    I do nothing for them, not even food, and have a dozen monster plants without any tending. No compost or amendments or even side dressing...my rhubarb has been going strong for probably 40-50 years and i can see wild stands of it across the hay field. (it was planted at some point but years ago)...

I always recommend finding someone in your area that has a successful 'mound' and follow the growing advice of an established patch. I've divided mine, just hack out some corms early spring and start new ones or give away bits...

I do know it likes to be planted very shallow...in very dense firm soil, not light loose amended fluff...and cut off any flower stalks that emerge...
    I cut my flowers just after this pic.

Nice looking pie! Haven't made a pie yet, but i use my rhubard in many savory dishes...
    BBQ sauce, a rhubarb/ginger seltzer beverage...rhubarb sweet and sour cole slaw..
    rhubarb chili !

• sandysgardens
    9 years ago

Rhubarb should not be picked the first year it's transplanted - not just new plants but any transplants. They need to use their energy establishing their root system in their new home, and it takes the first year to really get it going. So with plants planted this year, just let them be, keep moist. The leafs will die back end of summer/fall; Leave them be and next spring clean up the dead leafs and you'll be rewarded with new rhubarb growth.

Next year follow the rule of picking no more than 1/3 of the plant, as previously suggested. I typically quit picking at the end of June or 1st half of July. They will need the remainder of summer to store up energy for winter..

Cut off any flower stalks that appear. If left on, the rhubarb will get woody.

Rhubarb typically doesn't like real hot weather. My sister has tried it several times in zone 6/7 with no luck with it coming back or it dies before end of 1st summer. They like cool and moist....

I have a 12ft+ row of red 'Martha Washington' rhubarb that I've had for 28 years at this house and for 8 years at prior house. Just picked some this am for my co-worker. She's bringing in rhubarb crisp tomorrow:)

Sandy

• Kevin Reilly
    9 years ago

Been growing well for me in 9b. I don't know the type but it's a green variety...

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County