Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xxnonamexx

Liquid organic fertilizer? Is it needed?

xxnonamexx
10 years ago

M garden is doing nicely tomatoes, garlic, onions, peppers, lettuce, cucumbers, squash etc. My question is should I give it a nice organic liquid fertilizer from miracle grow to give it a jolt? I heard molasses, sugar beets are good for fertilizer. Any other ideas?

Comments (6)

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

Those aren't fertilizers (molasses/sugar)...at best something like that would increase microbial activity...which may be unneeded if your soil is already healthy.

This post was edited by nc-crn on Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 0:17

• AZGardenQueen
    10 years ago

I personally use Bonnie Plants Organic fertilizerand I have had great results combining it with a microbial soil conditioner called Quantuum, but then again I am growing vegetables in the Sonoran desert...so unless you have very little rain and/or poor soil, you probably just need the fertilizer.

• kapt_karrot
    10 years ago

well what to you mean jolt?? have they produced any fruit yet?? so what are you looking to do cause massive growth or intense fruit set?? also you know M.G is not organic right>? not saying its bad cause i use it in my own garden.. one question how do you irrigate your garden. flood.... impact sprinkler or any sprinkler system , micros ect... or drip?? i only ask cause most fertilizer that you buy as a granular example like 15-15-15 is slow release and has to be watered in and side dressed along the plants not touching them that is bad and will burn or kill the plant. on the upside granular is probably the most safest to use for a first timer. that being said if it is organic it usually doesn't have as high NPK values as inorganic but i would use the same technique as the inorganic. liquid on the other hand is A instant release and uptake by the plant and should be properly administered to the plant other wise you will do more harm than good. personally i use liquid but i do it in a way that will not harm my garden i've done a lot of research and i'm lucky to work for a agricultural company that sells many ag chem and fertilizers for comercial farmers. i have installed a drip irrigation for my entire garden except my corn due to the fact i flood irrigate it, and installed a mazzie injector system where i inject liquid fertilizer into my irrigation system fertilizing my garden and watering at the same time two birds with one stone. also keep in mind that i do this every time i water just about cause the rate of fertilizer i'm giving the plants is very little i double the strength of the M.G in a gallon of water then i inject it at a rat of 3 gallons an hour this combines the one gallon with about 50-75 gallons of water have traveled through the system so it is quite watered down and is why i do it just about every irrigation. and i find it works well my garden is thriving even though i've been plagued with pest.

• kapt_karrot
    10 years ago

totally spaced just reread you post and see that you are using a organic fertilizer by M.G my bad in that case go for it probably wouldn't hurt it just look at the values and assess your needs..... i try to use fertilizer high in phosphate and potassium the last two on the three numbers on the fertilizer why is cause too much nitrogen although your plant will like it generally will cause for example tomatoes to grow ferociously big tall and lush green but will not promote bud growth and fruit set that id where phosphate comes into play tomatoes love it especially when they are about 2 feet tall it really promotes them to push buds to promote fruit. it also promotes healthy and vigorous root growth creating a strong base for your plant. also potassium is vital for plant health with out it your plants will be less likely to fight off pest and disease. also micro nutrients are a must ie.... copper manganese magnesium iron calcium boron zinc sulfur ect

• lgteacher
    10 years ago

Liquid fertilizer probably isn't needed. Why not sprinkle on a granular organic designed for vegetables? There are several to choose from and they also contain micronutrients. Feed the soil, and it will feed the plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: My raised bed garden

• xxnonamexx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I use a sprinkler system a fanout spray type one. Here in N.Y. we got alot of rain the past few weeks so the soil is moist. The 2 main issues I have is the basil looks like somethings eating it and its not growing as nice as it usually does. the peppers are staring to flower, fruit, and a few tomato plants are starting. I planted string beans last week and nothing sprouted through the ground yet but I guess more time is needed. I just want to stay on top of my garden to make sure it keeps flourishing, One other thing I noticed is compared to my father in laws (a few blocks away) garden his lettuce grew fast while mine grew nice but seems stunted which is what makes me think I need fertilizer.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert