Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uscjusto

Cherry tomatoes

uscjusto
10 years ago

My indeterminate cherry tomato plant has been producing quite a few cherry tomatoes. The picture shows the harvest from the past 2 days, but my question is why are they so small?

Is there anything I can do to increase the size of each tomato?
I planted the tomato in good soil and compost, and have been fertilizing with an organic slow release vegetable fertilizer and also a dose of fish emulsion with kelp.
The plant receives plenty of sunshine and is watered regularly.

Comments (11)

• insteng
    10 years ago

They look like Sweet 100's and they do not get very big. They produce tons of tomatoes though.

• insteng
    10 years ago

They look like Sweet 100's and they do not get very big. They produce tons of tomatoes though.

• uscjusto
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The problem with this tomato plant was I bought it as a seedling from the nursery. It was marked as an heirloom better boy tomato plant, but obviously this is not a better boy. Lol mismarked.

So I have no idea what the tomato is actually, and what it is capable of.

• lm13
    10 years ago

These are cherry tomatoes. They are supposed to be small, usually bite sized. If it is a Supersweet 100 variety, the plant can grow to be over 8 feet tall. You will need plenty of room for it to climb, or keep it pruned, it's up to you. It could be another variety of cherry tomato, so the size of the plant may vary. Cherry tomatoes are really prolific and you should be getting lots of these little tomatoes this summer! They are great snacks and great on salads.

Your plant was really mismarked - not only were they not Better Boys, Better Boys are not heirloom tomatoes. They are hybrids that produce medium size tomatoes. I can understand your suprise to see these little guys come off your plant! :)

• DixieGardner
    10 years ago

I like to roast cherry tomatoes to add to recipes later in the winter. I either cut them in half or make a small slit with the tip of a knife. I leave them in a slow oven (250) until they are all shriveled up and then freeze them. They are good to add to just about any tomato dish, ie spagetti. I also cut them up and add to herb bread when I am baking. They will ramble around the garden if you don't keep them staked.

• socks
    10 years ago

How do they taste? That's the important thing!

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    10 years ago

I don't quite understand. You say they're cherry tomatoes, so you must know that's why they aren't big salad tomatoes. Do you know what variety you planted? Also, your picture doesn't give a clue about what size they are anyway. Most cherries won't be larger an an inch or so in diameter. Is that what these are? Though I'm growing "Large Cherry" this year, and they're ping-pong ball sized.

That being said, my experience is that container-grown tomatoes are generally smaller than those grown in the ground.

Not entirely sure what the question is. Good fertilization isn't going to make Big Boy-sized cherries, and it isn't going to make Big Boys come out like basketballs.

• R Perry
    10 years ago

We're new to sw Idaho & planted our tomatoes & cherry tomatoes as soon as the last freeze occurred. However, it's Just been the last couple of weeks that the plants produced fruit. They are still very green and now the weather is getting very cold. At nights it dips to 34-33 ð. Daytime upper 50s lower 60s. I don't believe the tomatoes will have time to ripen before we have a freeze. There are hundreds of tomatoes and I hate the thought of them not making it after all the work and water we put into them. What are some options to save them...both the cherry and standard. Thank you!

• R Perry
    10 years ago

It got down to 29 last night. I'm going to pull my tomato plants. What's thebest way to rippen the ones I can save?

This post was edited by bonfleur on Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 11:06

• CarloMartin947
    10 years ago

My favorite cherry tomato is the Chadwick Chrerry, sold by various outlets, but I get mine from SEEDS OF CHANGE. This is a strain developed by the famous Alan Chadwick. More about tomato culture can be found at the following website:

Tomato Culture Methods

Here is a link that might be useful: Alan Chadwick

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

Bonfleur, pick the green tomatoes and bring them indoors. Put them on plates and they will ripen indoors. You can eat them as they ripen. I did this for weeks.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery