Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pepper problems...too much rain and spots (pics)

Posted by ahismah 5 (West Michigan) (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 9, 10 at 21:42

We've had a lot of rain in the past few weeks, combined with cooler temperatures. As a result, my peppers are really struggling. They're in a raised bed with a mix of compost, peat moss and vermiculite. The rest of the raised boxes are doing great (no other peppers planted), but I did individually amend the beds with compost at right before planting.

The leaves are yellowing, I think partly due to a nitrogen deficiency (from the crazy amounts of rain. I'm more concerned with the spots though and the areas where there is more significant yellowing. Could this just be soil splash, or is it something bacterial. I did poke around to try to figure it out but stuck out.

I did spray with a bit of Terracycle worm poop tea to try to given them some nutrients foliarly. I have some garden tone but was going to wait until Thursday when the rain is due...I really don't want to add any more water to the beds.

Can anyone help identify the problem? Is it treatable, or are the pepper plants a loss? Thank you so much for your help, I'm completely stuck.

Raised bed w/ peppers
Photobucket

Plant worst affected:
Photobucket

One leaf is notably curling (pretty much just this one)
Photobucket

I see some white blotches under some of the leaves:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pepper problems...too much rain and spots (pics)

It looks like early blight in the second photo, and maybe the last photo too. It is a fungal infection that can spread quickly when the weather is wet. Remove the affected leaves from the garden and treat with a fungicide.

o

It is caused by all the rain we have had. It looks like bacterial leaf spot.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Pepper Guy's Blog

o

Thank you both!

I'm going to remove the infected leaves ASAP. What is a good organic fungicide. I think my local nursery carries this: http://www.romencegardens.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.productDetail/productID/137/index.htm

I'd really like to stay organic, but will consider non-organic if it means saving the peppers.

Also, what do I do if it's bacterial leaf spot? Google (and gardenweb search) is giving me mixed info and my Rodale's book isn't helping much either. Do I need to pull the plants? I don't want to infect my other boxes, but I'd prefer not to lose my peppers either. Sigh. 3 weeks in and already toast.

o

Pull the leaves and get some fungicide. No need to pull up the plants at this point. Give them a chance. Think positive. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: The Pepper Guy's Blog

o

ahismah, without seeing the labels it is hard to say if that fungicide will work. You might need to go check the label at the store. For other organic options, Serenade and Actinovate are mentioned here often. Personally I have just started using Serenade so I can't say for sure if it is effective.

You don't need to pull the plants as long as you remove diseased leaves and start spraying. And hope for dryer weather. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here