Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Controlling/getting rid of cucumber beetles

Posted by gardenvt Zone 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 3, 11 at 21:44

I would appreciate any and all advice for dealing with these things. They are all over my squash and I have yet to put out the cukes and melons.

They are so tiny and I have squished them and hunted them and squished them some more.

What can I use to get rid of them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Controlling/getting rid of cucumber beetles

In my area there is a first wave of them in mid to late May. These are the surviving ones who over-wintered. They go directly after seedlings of the cucumber-squash-melon family. After they eat your young seedlings, they bury in the ground around the roots and lay eggs for a hatch about a month later.
I dust the seedlings with some Sevin. There are perhaps something else that would work, but it must work instantly as these buggers ruin the seedlings very quickly.

o

There are any number of controls available for cucumber beetles. They range from strong chemical pesticides thru various organic controls down to simple cultural practices. It all depends on how aggressive you wish to be.

Personally I find delayed planting and simple insect barrier row covers to be sufficient in early spring and one of the organic sprays like Pyola or Neem plus some yellow sticky traps to be sufficient later in the season.

The article linked below covers all aspects of CB control, their life cycle, and includes pics of the various varieties.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Cucumber Beetles

o

I try several approaches.

One group of cucumbers are covered with agribon 15 row cover and hoops made from PVC pipe. I cover 3 sides with dirt and the fourth with a heavy pipe so I can remove it and inspect he plants, water, etc. I used the Diva variety as it is parthenocopic and does not need bees to pollinate the flowers.

I have also kept several this year uncovered but sprayed with Kaolin clay. I have 25 pounds of the Kaolin and need less than 1 cup per year so if anyone lives in the area they are welcome to have some.

My sticky yellow traps have not caught any yet but I have seen a few of the bugs around the garden but not near the cukes.

o

I never see a single cucumber beetle in the spring, but come August, there are thousands of them.

I suspect the key to control is getting them in the spring, but I'm so far not sucessful in this.

o

Dave,

Thanks for the link. That is the most comprehensive, most useful information I have seen on controlling this destructive pest.

Jim

o

ltilton, The first wave is rather small. For mine, I would guess 100 from the dead buggers on the cantaloupe leaves. They arrived the very day I was setting out the last of the cantaloupes. one landed on my arm and that clued me in to them.

I have cucurbits scattered around in many locations so it is not so simple as spreading a couple row covers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here