Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orangedragonfly_gw

Pics of broccoli bolting

orangedragonfly
15 years ago

Does anyone have any pics of broccoli after it bolts? My broccoli has little heads in the middle that look normal and seem to be growing but I want to know what point not to go past.

Comments (14)

• grandpop1
    15 years ago

I don't have a pic, but hopefully this will help. The broccoli floret (the whole head we eat)is made up of hundreds of small head-of-pin sized flower buds - the little bumps you see. The entire floret will grow to a certain size, then the buds will begin to swell and then each will bloom. Ideally, you want to pick the floret just before they begin to swell, but definitely want to pick them as soon as this begins. Be sure you check them daily once they reach 3-4" across for standard varieties.

• orangedragonfly
    Original Author
    15 years ago

good description thank you very much. I am definatly going to keep my eyes open.
    see I didnt know if there woult be something coming out of the stalk (flowers) or the broccoli itself flowers, kwim?

thank you again

• jean001
    15 years ago

Don't wait for flowers. When that happens, it's too far gone.

• guitar7100
    15 years ago

I'm fairly new but i think this may be a pic of broccoli bolting (i'm picking it tomarrow)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:62137}}

• vera_eastern_wa
    15 years ago

Do you mean you have a flowering stalk bolting now or your heads are beginning to form? You don't want a flower stalk (early bolting) before you pick your broccoli heads.

• orangedragonfly
    Original Author
    15 years ago

no no theres no flower stalk. My heads are about 2-3 inches now maybe a bit more.

• smiles317
    15 years ago

As a newbie, the only advise I have is to keep an eye out for cabbage worms. They like to hide in those bunches, and the more loose the heads get...the more hiding spots they have. Cabbage worms don't taste too good. I know that first hand :)

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Thanks for this thread, guys - it's gonna help me tremendously in the future.

• purplemage
    15 years ago

the pic above is a good example of broccoli beginning to bolt...

here's a pic of my broccoli beginning to bolt also...but just at the very beginning...if you look very closely at the tiny-pinhead flowers, some of them are beginning to open up...you want to harvest a head of broccoli that is still nice and tight...I could have harvested about 1 day prior.

There sure is a difference in bitterness between early cut broccoli and bolting broccoli...glad I caught this one in time.

{{gwi:71383}}

• m_lorne
    15 years ago

There is a difference between bolting and flowering. Bolting is when the plant senses it is coming to its end and rushes to produce seed. When your broccoli bolts, it is long, long past eating. (Well, still edible, but it would be awfully bitter). Flowering is when the head starts to break open in small flowers. You can still eat it, but again it will be very harsh.

To get rid of the insects, soak the head in a salt solution for 20 minutes or so (1/2 cup salt to one litre of water...that's a quart for our southern neighbours), then rinse well. Some people also report success with letting the head soak in ice water for 10-15 minutes.

• Lcgrace Mahoney
    15 years ago

Great pics and advice! Thanks so much for asking, posting, & answering! I don't have any heads forming but my plants look awesome! (My first attempt!) Your advice will help me so much! LC Grace

• pieheart
    15 years ago

One good way to avoid eating cabbage worms is to soak the head in salty water. The cabbage worms will drop out.

Then rinse well with clear water to get rid of the salt.

• sudzy
    15 years ago

Ahh....so that's what broccoli looks like when it's not eaten up with holes. lol. I've never not had mine attached by the white moth/caterpillar. Nice photo.

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

I agree. My leaves have holes in them and and my plants haven't as yet formed any florets. I'm hoping though. Thanks for the info, tremendously appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure!