Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ju1234_gw

Home made Slug/snail bait: Excellent results.

ju1234
9 years ago

Finally I decided that I have to do something about them. They just snip off the flowers on my plants. If a vine had 8 flowers, like half have been snipped off.

I went to store. There are two types of baits. One has poison and the other with "iron phosphate. Pricy. $10 for a 2 lb bag. Active ingredient only iron phosphate. So I decided to make my own.

I figured Iron sulfate should be as good and it is cheap. 2 table spoons of flour, 1 teaspoon of Ironite, enough water to make it like a very soft toothpaste. I put two drops of "neem oil + pyrethrin" (I know it is insecticide but still natural). I cut some pieces of plastic cups. Poured a little bit of that grey black bait in those rounded plastics and set them out.

Surprise: each one of those stations had at least 4-5 small snails on it dead or almost dead. Their mouth ends were black having gorged on this stuff. I did not see any big ones. My theory about the big ones is that after gorging they are still strong enough to crawl away and die elsewhere in hiding. I think this stuff has been very successful. I will see if it continues to work over the next few days.

I had set out beer traps also at the same time. Some of them (no all) had 1-2 bigger ones in them.

Comments (6)