Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ants on my Okra

Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 23, 09 at 21:55

No sign of anything else, what could they be after? and what harm will they do if any?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ants on my Okra

I have ants all over my garden and I have never seen them harm anything but me...I have several different kinds including fireants and they bite like a sonava well you know what I mean. Tonight I picked some peas not english peas but southern peas and they were busily running up and down the pods...I haven't a clue what they are after but I will tell you this...since I allowed the ants to share my garden and flourish...I have almost no issues with aphids or eggs ..I am of the belief that they do way more good than harm but I have to be careful because they are vicious is you disturb the nest.....usually a good soaking with water will force them to move the nest either deeper or in a less used area.......

o

Ants like the sap from the okra plants - it forms beads on the undersides of the leaves. They do no harm.

Dave

o

"...since I allowed the ants to share my garden and flourish...I have almost no issues with aphids or eggs ..I am of the belief that they do way more good than harm but I have to be careful because they are vicious is you disturb the nest...." (Ruthieg)

I must admit, this surprises me. When I grew okra in San Diego, ants were plentiful on my okra, and very defensive of their territory - because they were raising aphids on the undersides of the leaves. Ants raise & spread aphids, to feed on their secretions. Over the years, most of my severe aphid outbreaks have been ant-borne.

For what it is worth, the okra I grew in San Diego was unaffected by either the ants or the aphids, so I left them alone. But here, ant-borne aphids have caused several serious disease problems, such as spreading mosaic or wilt to all the plants in a row. I have a good predator population that usually deals with the aphids, but not until mid-Summer. If disease is a problem early on, then I have to control the ants before I can deal with the aphids... otherwise, the ants will just re-introduce them.

o

• Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 24, 09 at 23:09

upon closer observation, there ARE aphids and LOTS of ants. So what's more important to get rid of? the ants and then the aphids? Or just blast them all off? I'm afraid that too much blast may harm the flowers on the plants.

I have heard that malathion on the base of the stem will work, but will this just kill the ants?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here