Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ann_in_houston

I have bees, but not sure these squash are pollintated

Ann_in_Houston
10 years ago

Does it guarantee that they will pollinate, if you have them? I have seen them in my flowers, so I assumed they would get to the squash. We have plastic .25" mesh up for the birds, but surely that's no barrier to honeybees. Besides, there is ample room under the edge of the mesh for bees to go in. I found the following, when examining my yellow crooked necks and my zucchini. There is no stem still attached to the flower. I also found some shriveled blooms on my crooked neck. I know the flowers do shrivel of wilt, but I read that there should be some teeny fruit left behind and I couldn't find any. I also had some lacy holes in the neighboring green bean plants, and on a red bell pepper plant, many feet away, in a different container, two of the babies were snapped off. We've had a good bit of rain lately but not anything that should have damaged the plants. I have pics of those too, but I couldn't get more than one to post.

Comments (11)

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a close-up of the blossom.

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One last image: This is the shriveled crooked neck. Can you tell by looking, whether it has been visited by my bees?

• gelatodave
    10 years ago

Do you have both male and female flowers in bloom? Without both your plant will not produce mature zucchini fruits. To tell the difference between the two flowers; female flowers grow a small zucchini immediately behind the flower. Male flowers do not (just a slender stem). If you have both flowers in bloom just take a cotton swab and transfer pollen from one male flower to a female flower. Simple process that guarantees fertilization.

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It looks like it's too late if the flowers fall off

This post was edited by ann_in_houston on Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 0:42

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Agree. You have to have both male and female flowers for the bees pollinate the females. The picture doe not show female flowers. Maybe it is the angle of the camera.

Female flowers have a small fruit attaché to the flower but males do not have one.

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll just have to look, tomorrow. Thank you. I just trusted the bees. I don't know why they wouldn't do it. Don't all the plants have both male and female flowers?

• Anne Wolfley
    10 years ago

Many plants in the home garden do not have separate male and female flowers (tomatoes, tomatillos, peppers, eggplants, potatoes, beans, okra). They have both sex organs (or whatever you call it) on each flower. So they're pretty much self-pollinating.

Squash, cucumbers, watermelons, etc. have separate flowers, as stated. I didn't see any female flowers in your picture. Might be that they haven't come in yet. I usually see many male flowers before I see my first female flower.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to tell the difference between male and female flowers

• lgteacher
    10 years ago

There's no way to tell if the flower was pollinated by looking at the blossom. The ones that fell off were probably from the male flowers. There's a photo here of the two different blossoms. You can also tell the difference by looking at the stem end. The female squash plant will have a little fruit already formed before being pollinated. If it's not pollinated, the fruit will remain tiny. If it is pollinated, it will get large very quickly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zucchini blossoms

• cait1219
    10 years ago

I agree with what was said above...I only see male flowers in your pictures. I have crookneck squash plants too and even my first pollinated female flower (I know it was pollinated because I did it myself) fail to grow into a fruit. I was disappointed but as long as that isn't the case every time, I'm assuming it's normal. When you see a female flower, you'll know!

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much. I'm starting to get the full picture now. I also saw a pic elsewhere on the web, that makes the female with the fruit on it more plain. I feel like I know now what to look for. Thank goodness for you folks on GW