Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prachi_gw

Need ideas for cutting 30ft high branch for more sun for garden

Prachi
9 years ago

So the back of my house faces a forest.... I have some nice very sunny south facing spots but I just realized that I could squeeze out 1-2 more hours of sunlight on one of my vegetable gardens if I cut a few branches down.

These are all my own trees.... I could cut the whole tree down with a chainsaw but I really would rather not do that... I just need to cut down a few branches which are not more than a few inches thick.

The problem is they appear to be about 30 ft off the ground and the main trunks of these trees are not very thick themselves (no more than 6 inches at most) so climbing the tree is not an option.

Pole pruners appear to go up to 20 ft but that seems to be it. Any ideas??

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

For that height, rent a cherry picker or call a tree trimming company that has the proper equipment. No point in a serious injury or worse for a couple hours of sun.

Besides the sun exposure will start shift back south in just a few days so you could easily lose whatever you gain in a couple of weeks..

Dave

• planatus
    9 years ago

My tree guy uses some kind of a chain blade on a rope, which he operates from the ground by throwing the line over the limb he wants to cut. We had a very dead tree we wanted topped, leaving the trunk as a wildlife tree, and since it wasn't safe to climb he did the whole job with his rope saw.

I'm happy to pay for his years of experience.

• LaDonna Hilton
    9 years ago

I've used the rope chainsaw a few times. Sandbag weight attached to the end of the rope you throw over the limb and then just back and forth pulling to cut. Just take your time and don't get in too big of a hurry or you'll get it stuck and be worse off than before. I've found if you have 2 people pulling at a farther angle it's easier than trying to do it yourself with a sharper downward angle of just the width of your arms. If that makes sense.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    9 years ago

I went shopping for the chain blade on a rope. Had to move and didn't need it. An attractive one was quite literally like a chainsaw blade. Instructions said to get an assistant and one person pulling on each end of the rope worked best.

• spaceman13
    9 years ago

OK - here is what you'll need:
    1 chainsaw
    1 trampoline
    1 pogo stick
    6 rolls of duct tape
    1 parachute
    1 propeller beanie hat (You can use a children's hat if you can not find an adult one. If you CAN find one buy 2 and wear one and mail the other to me.

Here's what you do...first, put the beanie on and give the propeller a mighty spin! Then start the chainsaw, get a running start and do 3 handsprings. on the first handspring fling the chainsaw up in the air towards the branch in question, on the second, grab the pogo stick, in proper useage position. On the third, land on the trampoline and vault up toward the branch. In mid-air, eject the pogo stick, catch the chainsaw and with an windmill arcing ninja-like motion cut the branch off, Then throw the chainsaw clear and karate kick the falling branch clear, and pull the rip-chord on the chute. VIOLA! Just that easy, your done!!! (you may wonder where the duct tape comes in...well it doesn't, but it's handy to have around and does a good job in closing gaping wounds (don't ask how I know that!).

HHHMMMM, the more I think about it, the rope saw would be more effective. Not nearly as death defyingly cool, mind you, but probably more effective.

• Prachi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

spaceman13 ...LMAO... I am going to start looking for the propeller beanie :)

So I have borrowed a rope chain saw from my Dad I didn't realize he had one.