Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Update on Walla Walla Onions

Posted by NickRose Z9 San Mateo, CA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 22:04

I transplanted the onions around the beginning of April and they looked sick but everyone on the forums said not to worry and boy was everyone correct. They started to bulb some time in May and now some of the bigger ones have a circumference around 9.5"-10".

How long will they continue to grow?

April 10th:
Wide Onion View

May 8th:
IMG_0269a

June 20th:
Walla Walla 6-20-14a

Walla Walla 6-20-14b

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Update on Walla Walla Onions

Beautiful! I normally leave mine in (except to eat some) until the tops begin to fall over and turn brown. That's when they're done growing. Since they're not a good storage onion (about one month) you might as well start eating soon -- and the tops look like they're tasty, too, if they're not too tough already.

So glad they worked for you!

o

Out of the 30 or so onions, 8 have fallen over. Its been a week or so since they have fallen but the tops are still green. Does this mean the onions are still growing? Should I pick those 8 out and let them dry in the sun? I would like to water the other onions but don't want the 8 onions to get rotten.

7-16-14 Onion 2

7-16-14 Onion 1

o

Yes, dry them in the sun, but walla wallas don't keep well, so I would start using them. The first of the season is in our stores now, from eastern Washington ) hotter and drier than the western part of the state ). As long as they are harvesting, we'll enjoy them. But once the season is over, we have to wait for next year, because of the storage problem.

Your look great but are making me hungry for potato salad with walla wallas... I'm off to the kitchen. :D

o

I too thought my Candy onions were not looking perky enough in the earl going...now about 5 inches diameter.

o

I'd say pick the fallen-over ones and start eating them.

They're very poor keepers, but wonderful fresh.

o

and don't forget to plan on a batch of beer battered, deep fried onion rings while you have the chance.
So good you'll almost cry. :D

yeah, not on the health food list, but if once a year indulgences harm me, I've got bigger problems than that.

o

You can start pulling them now, but I'd wait until the necks brown. If the leaves are green all the way down to the bulb, the bulbs are still growing. And they'll keep longer if the necks are fully brown and dried.

o

When one half of the tops have fallen over, gently push the rest of them over. In a few days pull them and let dry in the sun. We have had good luck the past few years, keeping them in our spare refrigerator. Store them in a netted onion sack. Check them often, usually have them keep till mid Dec.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here