Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cucumbers and rabbits?

Posted by dirtguy50 6 SW MO (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 22:08

My buddy called all bent out of shape about his cucumber plants. He saw a rabbit out by his containers and went to see what was going on. He said all of the lower female flowers had be eaten off and wandered if that sounds like what a rabbit would do. I simply don't know so thought I would as you folk. Thanks for any information or insight on this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cucumbers and rabbits?

Yes, rabbits LOVE cucumbers. And melons. They'll eat them any chance they get. Your friend should put a chicken wire barrier or similar around the plants to keep them rabbits away.

o

Yep! Bunnies are the worse! They don't eat my cucumbers for some reason, but I cannot grow a single green bean because they eat the plants! I really hate the bunnies.

o

I know rabbits like to eat cucumber plants but was curious if anyone have seen them just eat the flowers and leave the rest of the plant alone. Thanks again.

o

Hi neighbor :)
The bunnies ate every leaf off my sweetpotatoes. I transplanted the poor leftover stems below the tomatoes in a raised bed with a fence around it and they have come back nicely.

My cantalopes are starting to bloom, but I had to protect them from chickens scratching (and dogs) by putting some 2 inch by 4 inch mesh wire over the beds right on the ground. I don't think the bunnies or the chickens like to walk on the wire, and so far so good. Your friend might try that - its easy and cheap.

The chickens have eaten the first five cucumbers right off the vine - they definatly know what tastes good. I'm training the cucs to grow up a trellis out of reach as fast as possible.... That would put them out of reach of the bunnies as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here